I <3 Ironman

Issues, news, and discussion specific to the Ironman variant.
CloneDeath
Orc Zombie

I <3 Ironman

Post by CloneDeath » Fri 10.07.2009, 13:55

So my roomie and I were like "Lets try Ironman!" and he was liek "wats dat?"

Seven hours later, he is on his 5th or 6th char, I am on my 4th. My first got swarmed by 1 million orcs, 2nd char went down some stairs straight into a vault, 3rd one found a cursed ring of teleport (It is like the game saying "You are dead" without actually killing you."), 4th is still alive.

{ironman} Grimmore is now my highest level character (lvl 13 :P) Warior Half-Troll. I killed my first Unique ever, and found my first Vault ever. The game gets much better after a certain point @_@.

Anyhow, even though Ironman is harder, I am doing much better on it than I ever did on normal MAngband (I even had a level 25 or so Pally with us that kept giving us life >_< and my ironman is about 2 levels higher than that char was).

The way we set up was actually pretty good. It was basically a classic War + Mag combo, except he was a Ranger, meaning he wasn't easily killed, so I didn't have to protect him since he could go on his own, I only had to help him when he got swarmed or found the Hobbit Unique (or when we FOUND SMEAGLE (yeah! WTF?!)). But his "Detect Creatures" and "Detect Traps" got me through some vaults/pits XD.

Just thought I would express my much unexpected love for Ironman.

P.S. me and my roomie did a Type I dive, party was "Morgoth or Bust". Roomie switched between Half-Elf, Human, Dunadan and Troll, always being a Ranger (A Troll Ranger?! Yeah, he only had 13 int, didn't live long either.).

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Re: I <3 Ironman

Post by schroeder » Fri 10.07.2009, 17:17

YEAH ironman! Its great! It gives you an intense amount of experience compared to mangband, cus its just *concentrated* diving. AND you also get to party more!
Only thing that gets me a little, is going back to mangband after ironman, and not having teleport scrolls.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

CloneDeath
Orc Zombie

Post by CloneDeath » Fri 10.07.2009, 17:43

You get teleport scrolls in Ironman @_@ We sell them though, lol, cuz I don't need them (except when I landed in a vault -_-) and my roomie learns Phase Door, so MP is better than X number of scrolls.

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Sat 11.07.2009, 01:10

yeah, but scrolls have 0% fail and dont need mana!
Also, if your books get burned they're kind of necessary.

ID scrolls are probably better if you do not have a mage who has ID in your party.