Breeders

Issues, news, and discussion specific to the Ironman variant.
Berendol
Evil Iggy

Breeders

Post by Berendol » Wed 30.11.2005, 10:22

Any plans to limit the breeding monsters more than in Vanilla? Since there's no recall, and staircases are a bit tricky to find when a level is rapidly filling with an exploding louse or worm swarm (for example) - perhaps the limit could be decreased to a much lower number.

The problem that I see with the current limit is that someone who is unable to stop a massive swarm, such as a low level mage or priest with one blow per round, can panic upon sight of a few hundred monsters, log out, and leave some level like 150' full of an infestation, and everyone else is basically going to have to wait for them to log back in whenever they get around to it and either (A) die or (B) get off the level, so it unstatics... which is rather annoying when you want to "play through". This has happened already.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Jug
King Lich

Re: Breeders

Post by Jug » Wed 30.11.2005, 13:16

Breeders have indeed been identified as a problem in Ironman.  

Players also cause large swarms of breeders to overrun a level when they farm, which happens a lot.  Breeders no longer give any experience in Ironman, which takes away the desire to farm.  Ironmen shouldn't be farming anyway. :-)

I like your suggestion of limiting the number of breeders, I'll look into implementing that, or a similar solution, very soon.

- Jug

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Wed 30.11.2005, 23:42

When did they stop giving EXP?

I got a couple levels off some worms yesterday, but nobody else was playing anywhere near that level and I staired out of it after it got annoying.

Might want to check on that if you didn't put that patch in today!
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Jug
King Lich

Post by Jug » Thu 01.12.2005, 04:37

Yea, the patch has only just been applied to the running Ironman Server.  It wasn't live when I wrote that message.

- Jug