Umm... No weapons or armor?

Issues, news, and discussion specific to the Ironman variant.
Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Umm... No weapons or armor?

Post by Avenger » Thu 01.12.2005, 11:02

Ok, so I just started my first character for the ironman competition today, and as I was looking over my inventory with general approval of Warrior's and Jug's changes, I suddenly noticed two things:
A:I no longer start with weapons or armor.
B:My first inventory item is a 'nothing'.
Am I supposed to go buy weapons and armor? I kinda liked the broad sword and chain mail I used to start with.
As for the 'nothing', I really need that inventory space, especially in Ironman. I hope it's a bug and not a new feature designed to make the game harder...

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Re: Umm... No weapons or armor?

Post by Warrior » Thu 01.12.2005, 12:08

I haven't experienced the 'nothing' problem with any of the following classes: warriors, mages, rogues and rangers. I haven't tried priest or paladin but since you seem to miss the armor and sword I guess you tried with a warrior.

the 10 teleport scrolls and the 5 potions of cure serious wounds are worth roughly the same as sword/armor/berserk strength and since the competition coming up is an ironman competition I think it makes sense to guide the newbies in the right direction.

Keeping the armor and the sword is a pretty bad strategy and getting 10 teleports and 5 csw's without having to wait for the shop to stock them seemed to me a better solution.

This is because when a warrior enters the ironman dungeon he will descend quite fast, he will find both weapons and armor that he can put on after pseudo-id gives him the green light. These objects base AC will usually give you at least 12-20 AC in just a short time.

Body armor with at least 6-7 base AC is common to find even very early in the game, so the question is - would you rather have 10 tele scrolls or the extra 7-8 AC?

It's the same with swords, would you rather have 1 or 2 blows with a broad sword or 3 or 4 blows with a dagger/whip etc, when the deal also includes 5 csw potions?

Each character also starts with at least 100 gold, which would probably be wise to spend either on additional scrolls and potions or arrows/dagger and cheap armor like a robe, cloak, leather gloves and soft leather boots, this will give 8-9 AC to start with.

I agree that maybe warriors could've been left unchanged but I think it's better the way it is now, especially for the newbies who may not even think of buying a teleport scroll or cure serious wounds (they might rather buy a pike +3,+1 or ten amulets of adornment)

And it also does allow experienced players who doesn't want to waste any time in the town to just go grab a dagger and some cheap armor and just run for the >.

- Warrior
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Jug
King Lich

Post by Jug » Thu 01.12.2005, 13:03

The (nothing) bug should be fixed now.  Lemme know if you still have problems.  I'm guessing it was just with a warrior...

- Jug

Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Post by Avenger » Thu 01.12.2005, 15:20

Ok, that explanation makes sense, and the bug is gone now. Thanks Jug and Warrior.