The Dwarven Hall has been found!

Issues, news, and discussion specific to the Ironman variant.
Warrior
Evil Iggy

The Dwarven Hall has been found!

Post by Warrior » Mon 21.11.2005, 12:04

I'd like to congratulate Jug on finding the Dwarven Hall deep down in the dungeon yesterday. He had a very long dive, lasting more than 12 hours  and his character is a Level 26 Dwarf Warrior. He killed many tough uniques on his way there, Shagrath and Gorbag to mention a couple are both two very tough kills for an Ironman character.
Well done!

I would also like to congratulate myself on reaching the Dwarven Hall not so many hours later, after finding the great total of 1 (one) excellent on my way down, (a very mighty piece of resist fire armor). My character is a very tough Level 19 Dunadan Warrior. I have to say that I am most impressed with his survival instincts, fighting his way down the last 300 feet with a a single blow / round and greatly reduced strength and dexterity.

All hail the mighty Ironmen!
;D
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Jug
King Lich

Re: The Dwarven Hall has been found!

Post by Jug » Tue 22.11.2005, 07:18

Wow!  That's an incredible achievement Warrior, to make it so deep, so quickly, with no equipment and a crippled character!  Respect is due.  I felt nervous throughout your dive just reading your commentary. :)  I was sure it was game over when your tele staff ran out.  Unbelievable.

Congratulations! :D

- Jug

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Fri 25.11.2005, 23:57

I am almost at the dwarven hall myself if anyone wants to do any trading before I sell my loot. I have Godly Insights and a ring of damage, among other things at the moment.

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Sat 26.11.2005, 23:19

Hmm, maybe not. I was under the impression that a Dwarven Hall had been placed every 1500 ft. Now that we know this is not true, where are they actually?

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Sun 27.11.2005, 12:40

As far as I know there's only one Dwarven Hall at the moment, the one at 1500 feet. However it has been discussed if there should be towns for every 1000 feet instead. This would make the game more playable for newcomers to MAngband.

Congratulations on getting a score that won't easily be beaten, Ashi. I for one didn't think anyone could get that far with a mage but your strategy was perfect.

Generally, I think it would be interesting if some more of the old-timers would post guidelines and strategy tips. I'm sure many of you would like the competition.

As far as my own "guide" it is very straight-forward and rather conservative, (maybe it should be more detailed?) and even though many of the so called "unwritten rules" no longer apply I still personally think it's more fun when I don't exploit holes in the game.

- Warrior
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Jug
King Lich

Post by Jug » Mon 28.11.2005, 10:50

Wow! Very nice depth and score Ashi !  Amazing. :)

The plan was to place some kind of town in the dungeon every 1500ft.  Although as you have discovered there is currently only one, and that is at 1500ft.  

This is purely because I didn't think anyone was going to get down to 3000ft before I had the time to design a level for it. :-[

As Warrior mentioned, there is a plan to make these special static levels at every 1000ft.  Either way, the work on these special dungeon levels should be complete by the time the competition officially begins.

- Jug

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Fri 02.12.2005, 12:45

... and they appear to be every 1k. Thank god, I was down to my last teleport scroll!

-fink