Bliggles Tale of Woe

Issues, news, and discussion specific to the Ironman variant.
Jug
King Lich

Bliggles Tale of Woe

Post by Jug » Tue 06.12.2005, 05:24

The character dump for this character, Bliggles level 21 warrior, tells a tragic tale of bad luck.

Last messages:
 The Cold hound breathes frost.
 You are no longer bleeding.
 You have no light to read by.
 You hit the Cold hound.
 You have slain the Cold hound.
 The Cold hound claws you.
 The Cold hound misses you.
 The Cold hound misses you.
 You have no light to read by.
 You hit the Cold hound.
 You hit the Cold hound.
 You hit the Cold hound.
 The Cold hound flees in terror!
 You die.

It seems he ran out of light just at the worst possible moment.  It's hard not to imagine him banging the tele key in furious panic.  Tragic because he was carrying 15 Flasks of oil. :-(

- Jug

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Re: Bliggles Tale of Woe

Post by Warrior » Tue 06.12.2005, 08:31

This is Ironman, I'm REALLY disappointed no one has yet died from starvation or because they've run out of oill.

I will reward the first player who is both higher than level 25 and deeper than 1000 feet - who dies from starvation or with an empy lantern and no oil with the following object:

a Spear (Defender) (1d6) (+9,+12) [+8] (+4 to Stealth).

The prize will be handed over to you at mangband.org by my character Zaphod when your dump clearly states that you are dead and that the cause is either starvation or no light in your equipment/inventory.

- Warrior
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Jug
King Lich

Post by Jug » Tue 06.12.2005, 09:11

I also forgot to mention that Bliggles death occurred on 1050ft, just after leaving the quiet safety of the Dwarven Hall.

A tragedy of almost Shakespearean proportions. :-)

- Jug

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Tue 06.12.2005, 11:35

I was going to post something here but I decided to post it in the new players' forum instead. Look for the Lanterns post.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Bliggles
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

Post by Bliggles » Tue 06.12.2005, 12:07

Yes, it is indeed a tale of woa.

Imagine if you will wasting 2 or so hours on 1000 collecting all the stuff you think you will need:

40 tele scrolls
30 phase door
20 identify (on sale)
20 Rations of food.
Cure Crit Potions
Weapon.
Plenty of extra oil for your lamp.

All this waiting two hours to try and get the best price.  Finally, you have it all, and it is time to head down.

Take the stairs, and immediately surrounded by Cold Hounds and other assorted nasties.  Obviously not going well, so I start pounding the macro to tele...what the hell Im not going anywhere....dead

Yes, the classic YASD.  Children, don't forget to turn your light on before you go into the nasty dank dungeon.  

After I died, and figured out what had happend, I sat in stunned silence for a minute or two.  Thoughts of smashing my keyboard or killing a nice helpless ant came to mind.  However, it all ended with me laughing my butt off, and relogging into Mangband with a fresh Bliggles.

Lesson Learned (I hope).

I remember telling someone while I was waiting to by stuff on 1000' about how silly it was for me to spend two hours doing this when I would probably only last another minute or two on 1050.  Heh, it was more like 10 seconds....

Bliggles

Edit:  Is there any prize for the most stupid death?  Becuase if there is, then surely this ranks right up there at the top.