[BMA] Dynamo

Issues, news, and discussion specific to any other servers.
Berendol
Evil Iggy

[BMA] Dynamo

Post by Berendol » Sun 01.06.2003, 23:41

Dynamo is running.<br><br>What's Dynamo, you ask? Dynamo is a program that runs when the script calls it every 10 minutes to generate some useful info for my webpage, but it's more than that. I can run it from the command line to get more info generated.<br><br>I can currently find out all of the following:<br>
  • <br>
  • All information about all savefiles on the server, even post-ghost-death. This includes passwords, inventory/equipment, location, stats, hit dice, etc.<br>
  • Who saved where in the dungeon. Don't save where the rules say not to, I mean it.<br>
  • Who has what houses, and what's in each of those houses, and what it's all worth.<br>
  • Houses associated with dead players, that need resetting.<br>
  • Net value of all players and houses.<br>
  • Largest and most valuable houses.<br>
  • Who's exploiting (nothing) bugs.<br>
<br><br>Dynamo is currently responsible for the MVP list (which excludes RNG_Lackey, by the way), the hi-score list, the unique list, and a whole lot of knowledge I have about each of you and your playing habits! I'm not intentionally using it in a big-brother fashion, but I can find out who's staticing X feet, or whether a big, full house is dead. I'll be using it to make sure you're all happy with the way the game is running, and to debug new stuff as I add it.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Herbert2

Re: Dynamo

Post by Herbert2 » Mon 02.06.2003, 14:30

That sounds nice, hope we will be able to have access to some of the feature (like the MVP list, or housing statistics, % of used homes, biggest current available house, and distance from town, etc...)
Also, about dynamo, i noticed for several days the lagmetter going red all the time, but the ping to the dserv.rh.rit.edu is constant to a low value (<250ms) does that mean that the soft is slow ? Dynamo should not be slow... ;-)
Herbert ^_^

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Re: Dynamo

Post by Berendol » Mon 02.06.2003, 22:41

There are a lot of things that the standard 10-minute timed script does not generate because they would take more time. House lists and detailed savefile analysis are two of those things. I could have it generate very basic statistics for the webpage eventually.. those are some good ideas. I have to manually tell it to generate most of its current reports. And those reports are strictly confidential, because they contain clear-text information that would instantly compromise any kind of anonymity, or information purposefully hidden from the players, or security in some cases.

Dynamo takes about 5-10 seconds to execute, which it does every 10 minutes, and it plays nicely with the CPU. Most of its execution time is spent reading files from disk, which barely uses processor cycles at all. Any lag induced by my server is from my coding and compiling, which is necessary to keep improving the game. No compile takes longer than 20 seconds. Except for the occasional compile, the lag is on your end, or somewhere in between. I know RIT's main outgoing hubs are getting busy. Also... I know a few modem users hundreds of miles away that have zero lag reaching my server, so maybe you should talk to your ISP about it if it's a recurring problem.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)