[BMA] Ranger Class

Issues, news, and discussion specific to any other servers.
Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

[BMA] Ranger Class

Post by Maegdae » Sun 13.07.2003, 20:57

Currently, rangers get quite a boost to their shots number. However, by the time you can kill a monster with a bow, the ground is littered with so many arrows that nothing can drop when the monster dies. With all these extra shots ego arrows would be used up very very quickly.. so why not just make a new type of arrows that would "break" on impact? (Or make all arrows do this)<br>I believe this would really make the ranger class MUCH more fun to play.
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

Varguar
Nasty Little Gnome

Re: Ranger Class

Post by Varguar » Sun 13.07.2003, 22:53

How about putting the "magic arrow" back in to play?  I know it was widly pouplar in the pern varriant.  It stays in your invintory and the one's shot dissapear.   Might be something to think about.

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Mon 14.07.2003, 07:01

Not a bad idea. As long as it's a type of plain regular arrow, and not some "pseudo-arrow magic spell but not really" thing that you don't actually carry, I think it's doable.

Got any ideas for a name? I'd like to do an ego type. Imagine seeker bolts of disintegration, or barbed arrows of holiness (disintegrate on impact, slay evil)

Maybe I should go with item kinds, or both. What's the public say about this?
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Domino
Giant Hunter Ant

Post by Domino » Mon 14.07.2003, 16:24

The reason that Pern limited such arrows to the generic 'magic arrow' was because it was a trade off of power vs convinence.  If you go ahead with high powered ego's that will essentially do the same thing then well, they will most likely become the de-facto standard.  Unless you've changed treasure to a huge extent, ego arrows are a quite common drop.

A thought to consider.  If you were to do such egos, perhaps limit them to bolts.  Reason being that Rangers don't get extra shots with xbows (or did you change that in your variant?  I'm sorry to say I've not been keeping up well) This would allow them to be useful, yet not overpowering.

As for a name.. How about 'of Returning' since your stack size doesn't decrease.
King of the Hill Baby!

Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Maegdae » Mon 14.07.2003, 16:47

Another solution would be to make arrows on the ground stack.. I don't know how hard this would be to implement.
How about these:
Barbed Arrows of *Slay* Player.
x5 damage to players
Aggravates @ to automatically set to hostile when carried
Makes character flash chaos (multihued) when carried
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

Domino
Giant Hunter Ant

Post by Domino » Mon 14.07.2003, 17:45

actually items in general need to stack on the ground but that's another issue entirely..
King of the Hill Baby!

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Mon 14.07.2003, 20:51

Rangers get extra shots period, as their level goes up.

I won't be enhancing PvP anytime soon, except in the case of RNG vs. Mortals. It's so annoying to have the 1500 damage cap before the division, since he has 10,000 strength non-elemental magic attacks.

Perhaps standard item kinds (arrows, bolts, shots) should be created and I should leave the egos alone.

I think we misunderstand each other here.. the arrows would be used up when fired. The stack size would decrease the usual way.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)