[BMA] New Server

Issues, news, and discussion specific to any other servers.
Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

[BMA] New Server

Post by Avenger » Fri 08.12.2006, 18:57

Just wondering as to the possibilty of a new server of Berendol's variant ever being started, as the current vanilla server is a bit buggy, and I would venture to say under-maintained, although I'm sure Crimson has many good reasons for his apparent absence. If not, are the files necessary to run a server available anywhere? If so, I would be more then willing to attempt to set up a server, although I doubt it could be online all the time.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Re: New Server

Post by Fink » Fri 08.12.2006, 20:58

Looking over the last few years, I've come to think that servers only really work out if they are consistent (up 24/7 for at least six months at a time), and are on a good line (I suspect that many user's home lines wouldn't cut it - whether by reasons of quality, or the degree of use the user subjects them to).

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Sat 09.12.2006, 00:21

CPU and environment: You need a machine that's got enough processor to spare for the game. I was running a 2.4 kernel Debian on a P200 with 192MB RAM, and it worked great, so it's not that hungry - but you can't have high priority things preempting MAngband if you want a smooth game experience. Therefore... multimedia or programming (compiling) use of the computer is a no-no. That includes Flash, DVDs, and all that.

Bandwidth: A dedicated 60-80 KB/sec upstream and downstream should be enough for a server. Typical bandwidth usage (if I remember right) maxes out at around 6-10KB/sec per user.

Uptime: You want a server that can be online in the wee hours of the morning, because this game is played by people from all over the world.

Knowledge: You should know how to set up cron jobs for log maintenance or starting the server upon reboots, and you definitely have to be comfortable with UNIX filesystems and permissions. Simple shell scripting is a must-have skill as well. Learn to use grep and a decent editor (vim, emacs, crimson editor?).

So, if you can spare all that... maybe running a server is for you! Get the sources, compile, and try getting it running - don't make it public until it is stable. Here is my source: http://www.danlib.net/share/MAngband/bm ... .4_src.zip
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Post by Avenger » Sat 09.12.2006, 00:59

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Even though I don't have most of that, at least skill-wise. Meh, worth a shot, as it's quite a fun variant.