Focus on the New User

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Jug
King Lich

Re: Focus on the New User

Post by Jug » Wed 16.07.2008, 11:56

Oh, also on the documentation front, it's probably worth knowing that we have requested (and received) permission to use the Angband User Manual as a basis for a MAngband Manual. Just no one has yet volunteered to MAngbandise that document in our wiki.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Wed 16.07.2008, 12:00

Also, this is a very minor complaint, but I actually do get lost in the town...
I do too...
Usually my characters buy houses very far from town since they are bigger and available more often, and it really suxx to have to *walk* back to the town each time I want to store things, visit shops or simply play (char gets disturbed almost on every step by every house door on the way, broken skulls or shards of pottery on the ground... or simply the ton of monsters generated while people stay AFK in their houses), so I simply use recall to go back to town and of course I end up anywhere on the town map. If the char is a caster, I try to cast teleport until I see one of the shop numbers, but since the teleport system is totally biased (try it and you'll find out you can almost never teleport in the middle sectors of any level), it almost never works and I have to use "L" to get back to the shop area.

nubnub
Giant Spotted Rat

Post by nubnub » Sat 19.07.2008, 22:30

I've got a personal anecdote to relate that is pretty relevant to this topic:

Today, Zapoila (a mage player), Allona (one of my brothers, incompetent), and I (playing as a level 11 Kobold Warrior) tried to go on a mining expedition to those mountains south of the town.

It was very, very unsuccessful. At the start, Zapoila was playing a level 3 mage, Allona a level 1 gnome warrior, and I was playing the aforementioned Kobold. My Kobold had recently killed Mughash and all his cronies, and had some pretty powerful weapons, so I was going to be the monster-clearing guy. Zapoila was going to be the ranged attacker and arcane backup, and Allona was going to mine with me even though he was too low-leveled to fight.

We all set out for the mountains, and were almost instantly attacked by a group of cave spiders. They flat out killed Zapoila and Allona, and I ran off with about half of my HP gone (Kobold, remember?). Allona's ghost got lost and stumbled around, and I think Zap got permakilled.

Our expedition had started off on a sour note.

While we were gearing up to try again, Zapoila and Allona each got killed multiple times. Allona died because of his own incompetence, but when Zapoila died, it was usually because he was standing there, on the street sorting his stuff, when a monster just came out of nowhere and killed him in about 1 hit. He got killed going after his old equipment too.

Keep in mind, we still hadn't left town.

After a few more minutes of this, we got Zapoila's stuff, and decided to call it a night on the mining thing.

I guess what this story illustrates is either the importance of not standing in the street, or that sometimes, playing as level one characters is exasperatingly difficult because of some of the more vicious town-dwellers.

I'm going to try and organize another expedition, though. It'll all have been worth it when we find The Iron Crown Of Morgoth buried in a magma vein.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Sun 20.07.2008, 11:02

goto the dungens first and gain some levels this takes only 20 minutesand then you are a bit safe.
monsters cnot come into house 8

nubnub
Giant Spotted Rat

Post by nubnub » Sun 20.07.2008, 18:26

Yeah, we did before hand, but after the leveling up, Zapoila was level 3 (he died a few time in the dungeon, usually because the RNG hated him) and so the leveling wasn't too effective. I think next time we'll all try to be level 9 and up before setting out.

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Wed 23.07.2008, 00:38

nubnub wrote:While we were gearing up to try again, Zapoila and Allona each got killed multiple times. Allona died because of his own incompetence, but when Zapoila died, it was usually because he was standing there, on the street sorting his stuff, when a monster just came out of nowhere and killed him in about 1 hit. He got killed going after his old equipment too.

Keep in mind, we still hadn't left town.
The way the people who live in town work these days is if you leave them alone, they leave you alone. For a town NPC to kill you, you will have to have been attacking them already. Until you've had a chance to build your character up a bit (the dungeon is a lot better for this than the wilderness, BTW) stay away from the townfolk. Once you're up a few levels, the people in town are easier game and it's OK to start trying to kill them off for cash when needed.

It's worth noting that Maggot is the exception to this, he'll attack you at any time...
Mangband Project Team Member

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Wed 23.07.2008, 11:53

Squint-eyed rogues will attack you too, and not only will they do quite some damage for weak level 1 chars (mages for ex.), but they will rob you of your starting stuff, making you even more vulnerable to other townies.
Strange enough, BSVs are still accounted for one the highest low level char killers (66 deaths), but MLMs are not (only 38 deaths).

serina
Crystal Ooze

Post by serina » Thu 24.07.2008, 00:12

I posted a sort of "step by step" guide. Use it or not ;)

ZAL