Store 9, the convenience store...

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
serina
Crystal Ooze

Store 9, the convenience store...

Post by serina » Thu 06.03.2008, 02:26

Waiting around town scumming the merchants isn't what makes Mangband fun. It's fun when you're lucky, but when you aren't, it's really bad.

I'm all for that hard to come by items shouldn't or only VERY rarely be available in town. But a few necessary items you have to wait around for. Sometimes for hours.

I believe the following items should be in town at all times. Either in store 9 or in the currently available stores:

- Scroll of Teleportation: You'd think that with all the magic, these would be easy-peasy. If not, make a market for them so mages can summon these scrolls? PW says there are many useless mage-spell slots anyway, heh. I'd happily donate cash to help a Half-troll mage...

- Staff of Teleportation: At lower lvls, who leaves town without them?

- Potion of restore x-stat: Waiting for these even for 5 minutes. When you're eager to dive is a pain.

- Ring of Resist poison: These rings cost so much. If you're rdy to pay that much for poison resist, it should be available to you most of the time. You rarely have 90k to burn on this unless you're high enough lvl where it's required, and this becomes an irritable time-sink.

- Maybe a lvl 50's store, where you can buy potions that heals for 450, but no cuts, bruises or anything similar. This way it might be possible to handle the nasty uniques before Sauron/Morgoth without having to farm *healing potions* for a year like Warrior did. I dunno, it's just a thought. Or I just need to improve my skills to be able to kill the Tarrasque with regular heals. (could be implemented with a glyph that only allows lvl 50 players. And once someone leaves the store, the glyphs are reset and the player is teleported away in town.

ZAL

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Thu 06.03.2008, 10:27

I think looking for most of these items is a part of the game. I agree that Low level items (restore stat, healing, spellbooks etc) should always be available. But highlevel stuff should not be easily available. Maybe the stores should not reset at all and only contain what the players bring up. and from time to time things disappear.

To dive deep you could always take more ppl with you to kill nasty uniques more easily. To go alone = more risk. Right?

serina
Crystal Ooze

Post by serina » Fri 07.03.2008, 06:38

I forgot about some important things.

Stat rings and wis amulets. +2 or +3 would be nice. Make us pay 10k-20k for them, but make them be available, please. It's a pain having a 30th lvl priest unable to act as a priest cause all the Wis amulets you've found have been cursed (Which isn't an unlikely scenario). Finding +4 or better is fine.

Gnome mage comes to mind. Having STR 7 is almost unplayable. STR 10 still sucks, but it's ALOT better than 7.

ZAL

Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Maegdae » Tue 11.03.2008, 08:25

Scrolls of teleportation make life far easier, agreed.

But if everyone can get these nice (and very helpful items), it makes the game much easier. You don't *have* to wait for them; it's something you choose to do because they're so nice.
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

serina
Crystal Ooze

Post by serina » Wed 19.03.2008, 01:28

PLAYER SHOPS! I LOVE YOU MANGBAN TEAM