Player shops show 4 pages

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Player shops show 4 pages

Post by Ashi » Sun 20.04.2008, 01:02

Currently one can sell up to 48 items at a time from a player shop, just like the normal town shops. However, this is going to encourage high level players to buy up dozens of small houses because the large ones can't be used to their full potential. Can we change this, to at least delay the incoming housing shortage?

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Re: Player shops show 4 pages

Post by Ace » Mon 21.04.2008, 13:37

I suggest to make houses more expensive the less houses are available.
Or to make houses more expense the more houses you own. (however the latter encourages cheating or even lead to exploiting)

Definitly it should not happen that one player is able to buy the whole city. Maybe its possible top make the town a bit bigger? So theres enough houses for everyone? But after a while it will probably lead only to the "i own the whole district" players :)

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 22.04.2008, 10:52

PWMAngband has a cap to the number of houses a player can own. It's 1 per 10 levels up to 6, 10 when you have killed Morgoth. Still dunno what the max number of houses is... so the game could still run out of houses.
Making houses more expensive is really not a good idea, it only penalizes the newcomers... IIRC it was discussed someday about adding a tax for house maintaining that would increase with the size of the house, so that you would have to pay for having all those big houses. Dunno what got out of this discussion though...
About the 4 pages problem, you don't need to put everything in a house for sale... just use the large houses for backup or swap gear, supplies and stuff you would like to trade instead of selling. Or simply as a large warehouse... then buy a 6x8 house as your main shop and manage it like a real shop! :)

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Tue 22.04.2008, 13:23

I agree with the last comment. 48 slots are enough. Sell the rest to the AI shops greedy heroes! :)
Regarding the house prices - small houses cheap - big houses more expensive.

A tax is probably to complicated, what happens if you run out of money? And how do you pay? Is the cash deducted from your pocket or do you have to keep a lump sum in each house? I think this is far too complicated :)

Otherwise make the town bigger i would like that - more roads etc :)