Every new character should be able to get a WoR immediately

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
PowerWyrm
Balrog

Every new character should be able to get a WoR immediately

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 25.08.2008, 13:53

For classes that don't start with a WoR or have low value starting equipment (rogue for example), you have to waste time getting that cash before you can start to really play. This kinda suxx...
Vanilla has implemented two things to avoid this:
1) Starting gold increased to 200
2) New cfg option: birth_gold (player starts with 500 gold instead of 200, but no equipment)
This should help resolve the problem...

Emulord
King Vampire

Re: Every new character should be able to get a WoR immediately

Post by Emulord » Mon 25.08.2008, 19:38

Or you could start every player with a WoR {40% off} or something

Whelk
Clear Yeek

Post by Whelk » Tue 26.08.2008, 17:06

This is the reason I will just quit playing for a few days after dying. It's silly, but it's an annoyance to run down, grab gold and valuables, then run back up, buy a word of recall scroll, then back down again.

FlyveHest
Nasty Little Gnome

Post by FlyveHest » Wed 27.08.2008, 08:52

Generally I just think it would make a lot of sense just to start with a set amount of gold, instead of pre-defined equipment.

I know that I always just sell most of the EQ, and purchase something else, because the startup gear doesn't fit the way I play, or, the most effective for my char.

Although, giving a WoR would be universally useable, so that could be part of a kit. (Also, just dump the torches, and give a lantern instead)

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Wed 27.08.2008, 10:38

Each class and each race has their own strengths and weaknesses, all of which has been carefully (for the most part...) balanced by the creators of the game. (Well, Angband mostly)

Some people playing half troll warriors will complain when shopkeepers will only offer them 10k for an object normally worth 20k but thats the price you pay for being an extremely strong character.

MAngband is an extremely well balanced game for the most part and the starting equipment of all the classes is supposed to give that class some useful items but it's also supposed to reflect the overall power and "feel" of each class. I don't think each class should start with an identical amount of gold or an identical set of items, because thats just not a role playing game. I do agree though that everyone should probably start with a lantern instead of a torch, we have wider corridors than Angband. But at the same time I enjoy the idea of starting with a bare minimum. :)

I don't like the idea of starting with a WoR. If you're a warrior you're sent out into the world with items of warfare, I don't see why you should have a WoR. If you need it, sell your chainmail.

Characters that don't start with much value, for examples rogues, do so because they're a pretty powerful and playable class. It's about balance.
I have no objections however to starting gold being adjusted up to what it is in Angband.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

FlyveHest
Nasty Little Gnome

Post by FlyveHest » Wed 27.08.2008, 10:56

Warrior wrote:MAngband is an extremely well balanced game for the most part and the starting equipment of all the classes is supposed to give that class some useful items but it's also supposed to reflect the overall power and "feel" of each class. I don't think each class should start with an identical amount of gold or an identical set of items, because thats just not a role playing game. I do agree though that everyone should probably start with a lantern instead of a torch, we have wider corridors than Angband. But at the same time I enjoy the idea of starting with a bare minimum. :)
Its not that I dont agree with this, it does take away some of the role-playing feel if you just start with a set amount of gold (that could be tuned to each class, just like the equipment is), but, when you have played a handful of games and some different classes, read a few forums for startup-guides, then its just a chore to go sell your startup EQ, and re-equip before heading down in the dungeon.

It could be made a switch, so you could set "Sell equipment automatically when starting a new game", and just start with a handful of gold.

Main point, for more experienced players, its just an annoyance (albeit a minor one) having to sell and re-equip when you start a new char, and it could be avoided.

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Wed 27.08.2008, 11:52

Selling the gear only takes a few seconds and while I agree it could be a config option I'm a little cautious about streamlining things *too* much, once you make auto-sell (or some other similar solution) a config option the players might want yet another option to "auto-buy" the items of their liking and then we're back to the shopping simulator problem again :) Shopping is cool and fun and a big aspect of the game no matter what we think about it but I think we should be careful about going too far. Selling your starting gear manually only takes a few seconds and unless you play extremely bad (or risky) it won't take up a noticeable amount of your play time in the long run. But of course, this is just my personal opinion, it will be discussed within the project team as well :)
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Conn
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

Post by Conn » Sat 30.08.2008, 17:17

I never had the WoR problem, I always find one in the dungeon anyway. But for people who wants to play careful and play mages and such, I agree they should start with a WoR. The alternative is just scumming town for drunks, and let's face it... it is pretty boring.