Stacking telepathy

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Stacking telepathy

Post by schroeder » Tue 02.09.2008, 01:42

I have heard numerous times about how telepathy used to be so much more awesome then it is now. How it used to be for the whole dungeon. Well now it has a limited range, but its still very useful. However, i still think that its potential is being capped. You can wield infra-vision+ items, regardless of weather or not you already have some, and it will stack. Telepathy should be like this too, to an extent. If you are wielding 2 telepathy items, It should be greater range. Maybe not doubble, but definitely more.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Re: Stacking telepathy

Post by Warrior » Tue 02.09.2008, 09:35

This has been discussed a lot within the project team and I used to feel the same way you do but I can pretty much guarantee it won't be added anytime soon.

This is simply because the limited telepathy is a change we made to match recent Angband and after having played with limited range telepathy for many months now there has been few, if any deaths because of it. If anything it has made it harder for people to scum for vaults or monsters, making the game less cheezy.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Re: Stacking telepathy

Post by Thorbear » Tue 02.09.2008, 20:30

Well, a kind of stat for telepathy would be cool, like the infravision
- Though this would make telepathy items varying in usefullness
-- Ofcorse, if you only added so that it increased with say 2 squares for each extra item with telepathy it could work nicely.

That said, I'm accually quite happy with the way it is at the moment, telepathy is still VERY usefull, altho it does not make you an overpowered scummer.

I'd finally like to add the fact that I can't imagine having 2 or more items with ESP on at once, and still being able to have all necesarry resists and plusses...
I'm working hard enough just to find 1 ESP that fits with the rest of my items.
I am Thorbear...