in-game chatting

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Dalzedur
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

in-game chatting

Post by Dalzedur » Thu 02.10.2008, 19:46

First of all, I apologize if someone has submitted a similar idea before me - I did not check if there was a thread after the same kind of implementation. My suggestion is also made with my current knowledge of the game - the feature might exist, but if it does, it is not really shown in any documentation I have yet found.

My suggestion concerns in-game chatting (as you may have discerned from the thread name). To me, it seems a tiny bit awkward and could use a boost in user-friendliness: Maybe implement a default macro to the client that starts to reply to a private message sent by the latest player. I may be overly critical, as I am a regular player of MUDs (multi-user dungeons), but multiplayer games do encourage interacting with other addicts so at least my lazy ass self would appreciate it being made less arduous. :)

For example, if player A sends me a private tell, I could press, umm, let's say, the underscore: _ , and get the in-game chat to the point of "Player A:<the cursor is here, so write your message and send it>"

There could also be a easy way to send a message to all players in my own party (again, not sure if such a way exists), but let's pretend that there would be one:

For example, where hitting the colon would start writing a new chat message, the first symbol sent could be a special character that would then modify the recipient_list of the message for the party, like '&go check it out, but watch out for the druj' -> (Dalzedur:Party(SinisterSix) : go check it out, but watch out for the druj)

Hopefully the examples were easily interpreted. The implementation, well, I'm obviously not a coder so I would not know the best way to implement these features, so that I leave to you - if there's a need for such features.

Also, is it just me or does the in-game chat in the one-window-client restrict multi-line chatting, while the client with multiple windows allows broadcasts that exceed one line and just cuts the message accordingly?

Feel free to discuss.

Emulord
King Vampire

Re: in-game chatting

Post by Emulord » Fri 03.10.2008, 02:36

I totally agree, since If i'm chatting in a party, i dont want to spam everyone else who is online when really I just want to quickly talk to people in my party.

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Sat 04.10.2008, 06:49

Is it possible to make a macro that will get you into the chat window, and type your party name and a : so that you can then type your message?
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

Flambard
King Vampire

Post by Flambard » Mon 27.10.2008, 12:50

schroeder, it is possible, yes. "\e:Hobbits:" would do.

Dalzedur, I like those ideas :) Something is to be done with chat, everybody agrees on that.

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Mon 27.10.2008, 18:40

Actually even that doesn't work currently. The 'Hobbits:' portion is still passed to the game instead of to the chat line. So if I create a macro that does '\e:maggots:', I get the 'g' spell in the book that's in slot 'a'. (At least in the Windows client)

We'd need to be able to have macros handle the change in focus between the main window and the chat window... Which really cries out for reworking the chat handling completely, so it can be integrated with macro handling.
Mangband Project Team Member

Flambard
King Vampire

Post by Flambard » Mon 27.10.2008, 18:51

Weird, it works for me on linux. But I can see why it wouldn't with all the focus changes on win.client.

Agreed! Chat needs improvements :)