Silly Zals wishing well.

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
serina
Crystal Ooze

Silly Zals wishing well.

Post by serina » Mon 10.11.2008, 14:34

Since we might be building houses and mansion soon, perhaps we could be granted a wishing well when you can use insane amounts of $ and XP and then be rewarded with the item of your craving...

I mean when you're lvl 50 searching for that Kolla of the Magi or Orchish Avari, and you don't really feel like playing that character because there aren't any items left that could improve you in any way unless you get the orchish avari which you never find. Zals wishing well is a place to go where you can "build" items that you need in order to kill that black P. Ok this is not going to be cheap, and with todays dungeon master tools, there's no way to guarantee what resists you get, but it'd be nice if you could make an orchish Avari 100% chance.

The cost of any item you wish to make should be 10 to 20 times BM value or even more in XP and gold. An orchish avari in BM costs about 300k I reckon. So that would make this item cost 3 million XP+gold or more, which is alot.

When my characters hit 50 and have killed most uniques, I still lack 1-4 really grand items to max out the stats I need in order to kill the final P. I know I'm impatient and we aren't supposed to kill the Black P, but fighting monsters only hoping for a kind RNG is kind of harsh and frankly quite boring. I'm pretty sure Jug felt this on his most recent warrior.

Maybe rings of speed should be 1 million per +. Hehe. I dunno just throwing out suggestions. I doubt this will ever happen, but it would be nice if you didn't have to "wait" for the RNG for ages in the end since you pretty much need very impressive gear to fight Morgoth.

Maybe the "key" to the wishing well is given to you as you hit 6350 or maybe a 1-time pass can be granted so it's only a way to make 1 grand item.

ZAL

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Re: Silly Zals wishing well.

Post by Warrior » Mon 10.11.2008, 14:53

Ideas like these come up now and then and I've had a few of them myself also. Similar ideas in the past has been artifact creation and buying additional resistances or abilities for your items.

The problem of course is, like you mention, that at some point you need a very very specific item with very specific abilities and it seems just impossible to find it. This is not a bad suggestion, but in your case it's coming because you move/grow faster than you "should", you find yourself "ready" to kill the black P before you're actually ready. You have killed the monsters and you do the damage and you have the supplies but the rarity of the items you need are tuned to match a different and slower character progress. That's a totally different problem and one that needs a different approach than just being able to order items from a menu.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

serina
Crystal Ooze

Post by serina » Mon 10.11.2008, 17:16

I could argue that everyone else grows slower than they should ;) Haha. Only kidding. So far my characters have only had about 13 million XP total tho. So paying 10 million is just sort of a fail-safe so you don't play for 100 hours and end up with nothing to show for.

Maybe the magic well shouldn't open till you hit 40 million XP. Wow this is turning out to be a great addition for 0 of MAngband players to actually use. Hehe. Not even Turin had that much XP ;)

I know it's a silly request. Thus indicated in the topic name. Heh.

ZAL

serina
Crystal Ooze

Post by serina » Mon 10.11.2008, 18:07

Or maybe I could get a secret cow level? HEHE
zAL

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 10.11.2008, 23:04

My variant has an expensive black market which is like regular black market but sells only items that are either ego or have a value higher than 5k. The price of items in that black market is 10x the regular price of items. Could be a nice idea... but of course it's not vanilla Angband anymore.
Usually I'm simply bored with my chars after a while and go for morgy anyway even if I don't have the perfect set of gear. In post cases you won't ever find what you're looking for, so just basically use what you have and go for it...