@h key....

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Ace
Crystal Ooze

@h key....

Post by Ace » Thu 12.02.2009, 16:41

Hi there!

Do you know about the handling patch for angband? I think this is one of the best extensions available at the moment! I have to lookup the source page later on did not find it with google quickly but basically it has a default use for common items. you can then inscribe anything with @h0 ... 9 and then when pressing h1... 9 it will perfom the default action for the inscribed item.

E.g.
Wands are fired, potions quaffed, etc....

maybe it would make macro'ing a tad easier.

Flambard
King Vampire

Re: @h key....

Post by Flambard » Fri 13.02.2009, 17:24

[IMHO]
There are 4 real commands in (m)angband: use object, move, run and alter, without ANY need for all the others.

To me removing all commands like Eat, Quaff, Refill and the likes (and they *will* be removed or at least forgotten by players, if we have a generic 'use' command) sounds like dumbing down the game. And changing it's feel 180o. And I dunno, just wrong.
[/IMHO]

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Fri 13.02.2009, 18:27

but you still have to press the right key or h + item combination at the right time?

I dont see the difference during play...

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Fri 13.02.2009, 19:42

I think the game could be helped by making it more accessible to new players. If i ever play Mangband with friends, they get confused sometimes by the z/a/U for wands/rods/staves, not to mention E/F/w/q/r/A...

Prosper
Human Zombie

Post by Prosper » Fri 13.02.2009, 22:35

Emulord wrote:I think the game could be helped by making it more accessible to new players. If i ever play Mangband with friends, they get confused sometimes by the z/a/U for wands/rods/staves, not to mention E/F/w/q/r/A...
U = Ghostly powers

I think you ment 'u' huh ?

serina
Crystal Ooze

Post by serina » Fri 13.02.2009, 22:41

You don't have to get rid of all the commands, and would still be able to play without using @h. But the learning curve for new players wouldn't be as steep if everything was inscribed @h something. If that's how it works.

Either way, I don't care. I know the commands by heart :)

ZAL

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 16.02.2009, 13:02

Commands are useless... whatever you type will end up in only one result... *SPLAT!* :)

Agor
Disenchanter Ooze

Post by Agor » Tue 28.04.2009, 16:28

PowerWyrm wrote:Commands are useless... whatever you type will end up in only one result... *SPLAT!* :)
Especially if your name is Agor...

Michailski
Giant Spotted Rat

Post by Michailski » Thu 30.04.2009, 11:37

The inscriptionpart seems to work that way....
Ashi wrote:Good idea. Here are a few of the odd things I do with inscriptions.

The @ inscription can work without being bound to a specific command, like this: @1, @2, etc.

This causes it to be bound to EVERY command. So if you inscribed a book @1, then you can cast, browse, and gain spells from the book with m1, b1, and G1.

Items higher in the inventory take precedence when you do this. So if you have a book with @1 and a potion with @q1, you will get an error when you try to quaff the book.

I use this type of inscription on items where the roguelike command differs from the standard, because inscriptions apparently can't bind roguelike keys. For example, if I need to use a staff with Z, then @Z1 won't work and neither will @u1. So I inscribe the staff @0 and set my macro to \eZ0.

This is kind of convenient because I can hit my recharge macro then 0, then my identify macro then 0 when I run out of charges.

I use this technique for ammo, staffs, rods, and wands as necessary, generally counting down from 9. They usually do not conflict with books and potions because those are higher in the inventory.
It shouldn´t be a problem to get a single command for it (@h). Personally i would still use the usuall way. For typing its easier and saver to remember r1 (read scroll 1) than h8 (or was the damned scroll at 16 ? *grummel* ^^) and finally i used the detection rod instead of the destruction scroll.
Okay, its only a dark example. Strongly needet actions MUST be macroed. And it may be good to use such a h command at macros. It would be possible to use a Staff or Wand with the macro which was done for a Scroll without changing the macro. That would be really helpfull (for people which that lazy at the macros like me^^).

One thing i want to say. Not alone for this topic...

Sometimes i see a Ghost. He straggles at the Forum and the Game. Sometimes here and sometimes there. And he whispers all the time: "The Game is to easy. It must be harder." And i would like to say him: "You are here since tons of years. You know everything about and around this game. Of course its all really easy for you. But badly you forgot your first days. And badly you never noticed the masses of players which started the Game and left behind painfull happenings. You are in troubles because you can´t turn back the clock and there are only two ways for you. Making the Game harder means being more alone and i fear that is as bad for you as the other way which means make it easier for the next generation of players and stay unlucky because it is allready to easy for you."

I don´t know if the poor Ghost can hear me. But it is worth a try. I am lucky about the Server a. (which should have a name;) ) and Ironman (for each player which think he is experienced or want to gamble). That means there is a way to choice between an easier and a harder way to play the same Game.
I am lucky because i can celebrate a Anniversary soon. Black Jack the level 1 Human Paladin killed by a Battle-scarred veteran (10 May 08) means my first year Mangband is nearly full. Okay, that means i am a step closer to that Ghost. But it can´t be boring as long as i am able to kill topequipped level 50 Chars permanent.^^
my 2 cents.
have fun @ll. =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8uAvMey ... r_embedded Three little pigs
My english isnt bad. I am ahead of time. I use the spelling reform of the english language starting 2010.

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Fri 01.05.2009, 03:32

Flambard wrote:[IMHO]
There are 4 real commands in (m)angband: use object, move, run and alter, without ANY need for all the others.

To me removing all commands like Eat, Quaff, Refill and the likes (and they *will* be removed or at least forgotten by players, if we have a generic 'use' command) sounds like dumbing down the game. And changing it's feel 180o. And I dunno, just wrong.
[/IMHO]

Also, there should be drop command, and a distinction between take off and Activate for activateable equipment. Ghostly powers should also be different since there is no associated item with that.