Shop Improvements

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
ArstenA
Mangy-Looking Leper

Shop Improvements

Post by ArstenA » Thu 12.03.2009, 12:55

Hey guys,
I recently fell victim to a bad accidental purchase. I was going to look at the details on an amulet and I accidentally hit p instead of l. This of course purchased the item. Well it was 146k and I only had 200k. So I was upset with myself! I was thinking that it would be a nice feature if you could sell an item back to the store for the same price you purchased it. As long as you haven't left the store yet.
This could possibly be applied to items you sell. i.e. you could buy them back at the same price you sold it. However, we would need to be careful that people are not using it as a method to id the items they sell. So maybe this would only work if all the characteristics of the item were known.

What do you think?

ArstenA

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Re: Shop Improvements

Post by schroeder » Thu 12.03.2009, 14:42

well the idea behind the way it is is that if you do accidentally buy/sell something, its a bad thing! However, in angband, their is an option where it asks you if you are sure if you want to buy/sell an item. Makes it tougher to screw yourself over.
Something you can do to stop sales though is inscribe things {!ds} this will make it so you can't drop it or sell it, and those are the commands which you can use to sell stuff to a shop.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Fri 13.03.2009, 12:29

I suspect there is a bug in the current purchasing system. Vanilla Angband always asks for a quantity to purchase by calling the appropriate function, passing the number of items that can be purchased to that function, even if it is 1. In this case, the shopper can simply cancel the purchase by pressing ESC at the command prompt (or enter 0 as a quantity to purchase). This fixes the "unwanted purchase" issue. Current MAngband code doesn't ask for quantity if it is 1, leading to automatic purchase of single items when pressing 'p', which is bad...

ArstenA
Mangy-Looking Leper

Post by ArstenA » Fri 13.03.2009, 14:06

I usually inscribe my items with !* so I don't accidentally sell something. So selling isn't as big of an issue.

It is the purchasing that is the bad one. I agree that even a quantity of 1 should ask how many you wish to purchase. This is annoying but could fix this issue, quickly!

Thanks!

ArstenA

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Fri 13.03.2009, 23:37

I dont want to have to hit p (item letter) 1 (enter) to purchase one item. I like it how it is. Maybe this should be a poll?
No shopkeeper would say "want to buy my holy avenger long sword? How many would you like? I only have 1."

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Sat 14.03.2009, 13:11

But for selling you are asked "Accept 20000 gold? [y/n]". For buying you have absolutely no way to cancel when you press 'p'... This is more a bug than a feature.

ArstenA
Mangy-Looking Leper

Post by ArstenA » Mon 27.04.2009, 23:32

What if it asks y/n if the value is over a certian amount, maybe even configurable on the client?

ArstenA

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Tue 28.04.2009, 07:07

For selling you don't know the price until offered an amount by the shopkeeper so it's natural to get a prompt. For buying you already know the price, it's listed there.
I don't personally think this is a big deal, hitting the wrong key can do lots worse things for your character in this game than drain you of some cash... :)
A config option for it could be nice, I for one certainly don't want to hit one more key and as someone else here already commented "How many of this sword do you want? I only have one so please specify any amount you want"
-- Mangband Project Team Member

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Tue 28.04.2009, 09:02

Well personally, I get mildly worried when buying single items. Mostly in player shops. Sometimes it is tough to tell immediately which item is connected to which price. Having a y/n prompt specifically for single shop items would be rather nice for this, imo.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband