Weapon of Phasing

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Emulord
King Vampire

Weapon of Phasing

Post by Emulord » Wed 09.09.2009, 16:33

Gives you +to speed, random teleportation
Activates for teleport other.
+1d20 to hit, +1d10 dam

It would be a interesting item before you get other sources of speed.
Maybe it could also be generated cursed.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Re: Weapon of Phasing

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 10.09.2009, 11:05

What's the point? Random teleportation makes the game unplayable, it would be totally useless...

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Thu 10.09.2009, 12:38

The activate for TO could make it a temporary substitute for a wand of TO. Also, it could be a way of escape like uncursed rings of teleportation.
We have weapons of morgul in the game, so this is just as pointless. Its pointless with a chance of being useful for someone.

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Post by Thorbear » Fri 11.09.2009, 15:19

PowerWyrm wrote:What's the point? Random teleportation makes the game unplayable, it would be totally useless...
Totally useless to any lvl 50? Yes.
Totally useless to the game? No.
I'd say this is an awesome idea, like the rings of teleportation, it will make you think twice before using an item you just found =P

Perhaps the "random teleportation" could be mildened or removed by uncursing it?
I am Thorbear...

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Sat 12.09.2009, 12:27

I think the curses are a joke... it's too simple to uncurse.

Maybe add some "permanent" penalties to good weapons on the same side this could be bonusses as well if you take the opposite:

These penalties should count also when the person picks the item up? This would make it important to ID as fast as possible :) And it makes great items also risky to pick up and run around :)

Possible penalties:
-ToHit
- AC
- ToDam
- any Stat
- any ability
- unable to cast
- unable to use staves / wands
- slow
- aggravation
- lower the chance of finding good items during level generation
- lower the light radius
- unable to evade traps
- monsters cannot miss (close combat or distance) when attacking this player
- damage to player increased by X %
- remove immunity / resistance from wielding character
- making the player unable to join a party
- player looses map when wielding (so the map is not drawn)
- random Memoryloss
- force player to phase door (approx once every minute in the first 1000 ft so it will occur more rarly deeper)
- force player to teleport (approx once every two minutes in the first 1000 ft so it will occur more rarly deeper)
- XP penalty ( slow xp loss like those rings of power, should not occur in town / wilderness)
- making the player suspectible to a damage type (e.g. damage to player increased by x %)
- blocking another wielding slot (e.g. if a penalized weapon is being picked up it blocks the bow slot and removes any item which is currently worn)
- SP / HP penalty
- spawn ghosts around the player who attacks him (a few every 30 minutes not in town, they should not give XP or items to avoid cheesiness. Depending on the depth the spawns shoudl be stronger - no uniques). Similar could be done with other items.

As example I could imagine a lot of good / bad combinations, this would it really make a question for each player if the bonusses are worth the penalties! So items should offer a lot of combos. Most of the bonusses / penalties should become visible with a *id* only of course. :)

Byyeee :)

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Sat 12.09.2009, 22:58

I appreciate the posts in this thread, though this exact weapon may not ever be created, the concept is interesting. Originally the gloves of istari were supposed to be slightly less rare but could range from -5,-5 to +5,+5 to hit/dam. However apparently this wasn't possible with the existing code so we went for the regular +1d5,+1d5. Since then I have been playing with the idea of mixing up negative base items with positive ego items (or the other way around). A mild experimentation over that idea is the Witan boots, they provide awesome AC but at a price.

It is possible that some of the new items I have been thinking about may end up along this route, to better balance out very powerful enchantments item combinations that don't make sense as far as "tolkien-lore" goes (such as a black mace of westernesse) - could be given additional (somewhat random) negative powers. The item may be given the full powers of both base item and ego item but "unfortunate" combinations could be given a further penalty. I don't personally fancy too much restriction of items (as in disallowing combinations such as the one mentioned above, or the current orcish shield of the avari for example), the whole point of adding new items is variation and playability. In my mind I feel it is not impossible that the avari would once in a while stumble across a brilliantly made orcish shield, see potential and add their own enchantments to it.

Anyway. We'll see what happens. It's quite certain that no items will be added until at least 1.2.0, possibly 1.3.0.
-- Mangband Project Team Member