Artifacts...

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Ace
Crystal Ooze

Artifacts...

Post by Ace » Tue 29.09.2009, 14:48

What do you think about this:

1)
You die - all artifacts vanish, becoming findable again.

2)
You don't come back for X days - artifacts are replaced by shop sales price, vanish and all artifacts become findable again
You don't come back for X+Y days - One house is freed, you get the money of the sold items (repeat as necessary)
You don't come back for X+Y+Z days - your character retires :)

maybe the above steps should be happening in quarterly steps? Maybe during account generation thhese time limits should be listed during character generation (maybe also name them a bit shorter).

:)

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Re: Artifacts...

Post by PowerWyrm » Wed 30.09.2009, 11:18

I think only the retire timer should be set. Players that don't play a char for months should simply lose it.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Wed 30.09.2009, 21:42

Yeah might be simple enough :)

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Thu 01.10.2009, 03:35

I dont think players should just be retired. I have some characters that are somewhat low level, so If I'm part of a low-level party and someone dies I can give them a character so the party isn't stopped. I might not log in for months, and they dont really matter, so is it that big of a deal?

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Thu 01.10.2009, 05:29

*Yes. I stand strong on my position that every character should lose all of their arts if they do not play for three days. And I mean actually play and do a dive, not just log in and out. I mean, seriously, If you aren't playing constantly, your just a drain on this game from the true players.

Also, the devs must invent a system which makes it so that losing your house would be fine. All your stuff would be transferred to one of thousands of storage houses far out in the wilderness, and you could reclaim it upon returning. Good luck buying the house back again though. All of the TRUE players will have already bought it, while you, the lowlife 'casual' (kind word for horrible) player lose your great house. Yeah, how do you feel about that?
Maybe you should have thought about finding a way to get wireless and electricity while on your deserted camping trip!

And as for those who are foolish enough to leave your character loged out for a week, you should feel the wrath of the game. Your character is not only deleted and removed, but any and all records of its existence cease to exist. I'm not simply talk of removing all occurrences of them on the ladder...
Any and all items that they found and sold to other characters should disappear, thus fostering hate towards these lowly skum. People should only buy from truely dedicated players anyway. Everyone else just sells crud.

Soon after implementing these few, important things, the entire comunity will have grown, since all the losers no longer play. All the true players will play much more, and they shall attract more true players. These hardcore fans are all that we need here. Everyone else should just go back to playing that newbie game angband.

*NOTE. I was being VERY sarcastic here. I support removing arts after one month, but that is all. I do, however, think that people shouldn't just sign in and do little to nothing to keep their arts. If they have them, they should play.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 01.10.2009, 11:18

You know that people have a real life too...
The reason why I quit playing TomeNET is that I had found all my (high level) characters (usually no-ghost chars) stripped of all their artifacts (and with random artifacts turned into useless pieces of crap due to a change in the randart routine) without any possibility of diving again (lost all resists, stat boosts, speed...) after just two weeks of holidays in the summer. I don't want MAng to become that restrictive, I would probably stop playing the game in that case too. A three month retire timer should be enough to free arts and houses from (forgotten) characters, while allowing people to play characters in a regular basis.
A feature I liked in TomeNET was the account system: you create one account with a password, and attach your characters to that account; the number of characters you can create per account is limited to avoid people starting hundreds of characters and forget about them. Maybe a feature like this could be implemented.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Thu 01.10.2009, 12:13

I didnt want to include tome in the discussion, but as it happened now - yes i also like the accounting system. And yes the times restrictions should be given out generously :)

@Emu:
Of course these policies should not take away the fun of other ppl true. but if you have low level chars, then theres no problem. As long as they do not own artifacts. And if we follow PW's idea of a retire time which is set to 3-6 months or so, it should be plenty of time for someone to go on vacation and come back and login once.

I think it benefits the fairness of the game.

@Schroeder:
Where you serious in your post? I dont think the community will change a lot no real matter on how the bounding rules are. People will cry but they will adapt. That is what happened with the house change and it will happen with future changes as well. Also 3 days would be much to short. People work, live in relationships and might have other hobbies too. My reasoning to free up houses / artifacts / characters is , to encourage playing not in hoarding. I see it with my own paladin character... I dont dare to risk it at the moment. I always plan to dive but second thoughts prevent me from doing so :)

@PW
The possibility to attach chars to forum accounts is already a step towards that. Maybe a forum account should be mandatory and chars should be always attached to the account. :)
Last edited by Ace on Thu 01.10.2009, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Thu 01.10.2009, 12:22

schroeder wrote: *NOTE. I was being VERY sarcastic here. I support removing arts after one month, but that is all. I do, however, think that people shouldn't just sign in and do little to nothing to keep their arts. If they have them, they should play.
Yes. I was joking. Thats why I had the asterisk there.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Thu 01.10.2009, 13:02

:) ok