Artifact historic.

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
serina
Crystal Ooze

Artifact historic.

Post by serina » Sun 11.04.2010, 09:40

I am a fan of great stories, and each artifact has a story of it's own.

This might ruin some of the fun, but I feel like most people either know all or many of the artifacts or they want to know about them.

So if there was a way for a scholar to be tracking the artifacts travels through history that'd be nice. Maybe if we added a "lost Sting" in the character sheets that would be made possible. Anyway. The historic shouldn't show who has the artifact at present, but show what it was used for and who let it go. You'd be able to select 1 artifact, and the summary would look something like this:

The short sword "Sting":
Sting was found by Warrior who used it to kill Gorlim the Betrayer of Barahir // There will be a link to Warrior's char screen if available
He then proceeded to slay The Phoenix
He then proceeded to slay Shelob
etc.
After this he was slain by XXX or he lost the sword and it vanished in time.
Then it was found by ZalMag who instantly sold it for coin.

---

I just thought it'd be fun to track the progression of some of the artifacts like Cubragol, Ringil etc. Also some of the artifacts like Nimthanc, haha or others.

ZAL

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Re: Artifact historic.

Post by schroeder » Sun 11.04.2010, 12:57

This. Would. Be. Awesome. Purely awesome.
This could also solve the issue which was previously mentioned; its rather tough to see if an artifact is available.
With this, you could simply search our artifact page with ctrl+f for the art your looking for, and on its page, it could first tell you if someone currently had it or not!

Other messages for 'art status updates' could include
'warrior died died while using sting'
'was picked of warrior's corpse by zal'
'was returned to the RNG before it could be grabbed off of warrior's corpse'
'was returned to the RNG in the dungeon by zal'
'was given to warrior in the dungeon by zal'

'was seen in the dungeon by warrior, who ignored it' if they just ID'd it, and didn't pick it up, or something like that.
'was lost in the wilderness as warrior died' (useful for the crapdaggers that...some people...give to non important characters for them to go kill themselves in the wilderness)

If done correctly, this could make it quite hilarious to look through some of the artifact logs... ;)
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Sun 11.04.2010, 17:08

I like this. Should be doable. Thumbs up for a great suggestion :)
-- Mangband Project Team Member

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 13.04.2010, 12:23

Just a little problem here... this would probably take lots of place in memory to maintain. And the current server code is already saturated...