DTraps (and other) feature request

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
silicontrip
Human Zombie

DTraps (and other) feature request

Post by silicontrip » Mon 31.01.2011, 02:55

I've been playing Angband 3.2 and have seen some interface differences (from Mangband 1.1.2) which I'd really like to see implemented in mangband.

DTraps. This seems to be the most useful difference, each time you cast detect traps, it shows you that you are within your detected traps area by showing the word Dtraps in green on the status line. It also shows green floor at the border of your detected traps area, when you stand on the border the Dtraps status changes from green to yellow.

* for all. When asked for an amount of items (during a drop, buy or sell) entering * will enter the value for all of them.

Auto disarm detected traps. A little bit like auto opening closed doors. If a trap is detected, moving onto it's space will attempt to disarm it.

Other statuses. Such as Recall, See Invisible, heroic, blessed etc etc appear on the bottom line.

How difficult would this be to implement?

Thanks
Mark
--
Project Mangband OSX Carbon Developer.

silicontrip
Human Zombie

Re: DTraps (and other) feature request

Post by silicontrip » Mon 31.01.2011, 03:00

I just remembered my 3rd wanted difference.

Auto pick up of stacking items. If you already have a ration of food, walking over another one automatically picks this up. This works with any stacking item.
--

Flambard
King Vampire

Post by Flambard » Wed 02.02.2011, 12:42

To be fair, you should compare with Angband 3.0.6 which is the version we attempt to sync to (as of now). DTraps is a very new status (3.1 ?)

* for all - doesn't this work already? We had 'any non-numeric value for all' for the longest time, if that doesn't work, you should try 'A'. If '*' specifically doesn't work, this warrants a bug report/change request :)

Auto-disarm - slated for next version, probably works in trunk. (I believe it already exists in PWMangband too).

Other statuses - very hard to implement with current code-base without deploying new client/hacking the protocol, will be rather easy in the next version.

auto-pickup existing stackables. There's been some debate about this, but I don't remember even a single opinion/detail.. It might be implemented differently from Angband/not implemented EVER. Next best thing we have so far is the =g inscription.

(If you're interested in this 'next version', no, it's not going to be released anytime soon, due to serious lack of development effort. In the meantime, you can check out PWMangband , which has all the best of our trunk changes, plus keeps pace with Angband releases, plus has tons of unique and cool stuff).

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 03.02.2011, 11:42

PWMAngband has (almost) all features up to Angband 3.1.2 in its latest release (1.1.6). Check it...

silicontrip
Human Zombie

Post by silicontrip » Fri 04.02.2011, 03:11

Unfortunately I'm running a headless Linux server with OSX clients, so PW is out of the question.

I'm no stranger to C hacking, so if there is a dev stream that could do with some work for new features or getting it from a non working state.
I could help out. IRC, though, is not one of my strong points.

I did check out the dev site, but could only find a svn of 1.1.2

Is it possible to merge some of the PW changes back into 1.1.2 or is PW too far forked?

Keep up the awesome work.

Mark
--

Flambard
King Vampire

Post by Flambard » Fri 04.02.2011, 05:28

The trunk svn url is http://mangband.org/svn/mangband/trunk, have no idea why there's no mention of it anywhere..

If you mean you hate IRC, I guess we can do some faux mailing list via team@mangband.org / CC. Or we can exchange messages here. But that's very suboptimal :(

If you're just unsure how to use it, feel free to ask for help, I'd be happy to guide you through.

As for PW stuff, we occasionally merge back, but mostly in cases when PW provides suitable patches. The forking has gone pretty far afaik.

silicontrip
Human Zombie

Post by silicontrip » Fri 04.02.2011, 06:18

I did find 1.1.3 all by myself. And discovered that no one has written an object_copy function, which I replaced with a memcpy.
I also noticed that I could no longer see any monsters in the dungeon.

I'll have a look at trunk and go find an IRC client.

Mark
--

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Fri 04.02.2011, 06:42

1.1.3 code should have:

Code: Select all

#define object_copy(D,S) COPY((D), (S), object_type);
in defines.h
Mangband Project Team Member

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Fri 04.02.2011, 12:28

Does trunk actually compile? If so, seeing how much changes have been made (#908, #952 and related, ...), I doubt everything is polished yet to give something playable... Good luck, silicontrip...

Considering PWMAngband, I implemented a ton of stuff from V that isn't in MAng, in particular all features between 3.0.6 and 3.1.2 (UI with menus, sound, gfx...). Sometimes, the MAng code has implemented stuff totally differently (overloaded commands for example) and I've kept the V implementation in PWMAng. If you want some V features in MAng, the best would be to port them directly from V...

silicontrip
Human Zombie

Post by silicontrip » Sat 05.02.2011, 02:08

trunk doesn't even have a Makefile.in or anything the automake tools require.
Looks like I'm going to have to merge the makefile.bcc with the Makefile.in from 1.1.3
straight copying from 1.1.3 doesn't work.
--

Flambard
King Vampire

Post by Flambard » Thu 10.02.2011, 14:12

Before you do that, try ./autogen.sh -d

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Post by Thorbear » Thu 03.03.2011, 23:11

About that autodisarm, it won't have you stuck there if you fail to disarm it will it?
I'm just imagining some poor fella getting killed because he can't get past that trap in a 1-block-wide corridor.
I am Thorbear...