Make it possible to not have to retire upon *King*

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Domiano
Crimson Mold

Make it possible to not have to retire upon *King*

Post by Domiano » Thu 27.12.2012, 12:36

Currently, the autoretire timer is a *great* thing, which has done very good things for the community. However, in mang 1.2, I believe we can find something superior to it.
If a player does not have any artifacts or houses, why should we force them to retire?
In 1.2, players will be able to create their own houses anywhere. So, if we were to require players to sell all of their artifacts and non player-made houses, then we would be able to let that player not retire!
I think that the artifact removal would have to be done manually, because otherwise, you could end up removing artifacts they were holding for a player who died.
A tool that would list the inventory of all *KING*/*QUEEN*s who had not retired for the dev's would be useful for this.
This could work very well with the fact that you can't go past 5k till killing Morgoth, which I believe I heard would be implemented for 1.2. Their would finally be some place to go after killing Morgoth. Otherwise, the space after 5k would be mostly wasted.

The one thing that could make this whole thing tricky is The One Ring. My solution would be to just force players to retire if they wore it :).

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Re: Make it possible to not have to retire upon *King*

Post by Warrior » Thu 27.12.2012, 12:58

The auto-retire behavior has been strongly discussed in mangband-dev over the years and I'm fairly sure many of the other members will not like this suggestion. Exactly why I think so I'm not sure, but probably it's in order to make sure there is a certain "freshness" to the server, e.g. having tons of level 50's does something to the game economy and thus the difficulty of the game. With house-creation the suggestion makes more sense, and considering that there is now a limit of two houses per user (which probably were also added partially for similar reasons as the auto-retire), perhaps the time is right for another discussion regarding this.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 27.12.2012, 16:06

Auto-retire simply makes people avoid the morgy fight, considering they won't be able to play their character anymore. So you get the opposite effect of what you wanted!

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Fri 28.12.2012, 16:28

How about having each character to age slowly so you have to fight morgy or die trying one day :)

Flambard
King Vampire

Post by Flambard » Tue 01.01.2013, 14:00

Zaxx wrote:Auto-retire simply makes people avoid the morgy fight, considering they won't be able to play their character anymore. So you get the opposite effect of what you wanted!
That's actually true :(
Ace wrote:How about having each character to age slowly so you have to fight morgy or die trying one day :)
I like this very much. You can age accordingly to your level too (or maybe accordingly to "true turns", discussed in another topic).

Wait, do elves die of old age? :)

Flambard
King Vampire

Post by Flambard » Tue 01.01.2013, 14:00

Zaxx wrote:Auto-retire simply makes people avoid the morgy fight, considering they won't be able to play their character anymore. So you get the opposite effect of what you wanted!
That's actually true :(
Ace wrote:How about having each character to age slowly so you have to fight morgy or die trying one day :)
I like this very much. You can age accordingly to your level too (or maybe accordingly to "true turns", discussed in another topic).

Wait, do elves die of old age? :)

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 01.01.2013, 14:57

Of course, if we eliminate the auto-retire counter, you have to withdraw all your arts upon kinging, except for the crown and Grond. This means people kinging with the One Ring should still auto-retire.