*King* arts (again)

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Domiano
Crimson Mold

*King* arts (again)

Post by Domiano » Mon 14.01.2013, 15:58

I've made similar topics to this before, but I feel like these could have some serious potential with some of the changes floating around for 1.2!
In 1.2, I believe that you will not be able to go past 5k till after morgoth, and 4950 till after sauron. If an artifact's base depth is thus PAST 5k, then it will be untradable! (Without killing yourself)
If we were to add ultrarare artifacts created "By *King*/*Queen*s" that had a base depth of 5050' or more, it could be an interesting addition to the game that would not cause significant power creep.

Additionally, if this was combined with my previous suggestion to make it possible, under specific conditions, to not retire upon killing morgoth, we could give players an interesting choice;
Continue their lives as a King/Queen in the depths (very risky, since only fellow Kings/Queens can rescue them there), or retire right away to 'toil away for endless nights to create an artifact'

This would, in theory, decrease the amount of endgame gear floating around since, in theory, more people would choose to win and retire.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Re: *King* arts (again)

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 15.01.2013, 12:02

There are no artifacts (and no item whatsoever) that has a base depth below 5k.

Domiano
Crimson Mold

Post by Domiano » Tue 15.01.2013, 21:09

But would it be impossible to MAKE something that had base depth after 5k is what i'm saying...

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Fri 01.03.2013, 08:03

Under certain conditions this could be a pretty cool suggestion. However, considering the number of times you've kinged lately, I think the game would need a bit of rethinking before allowing you to feed the 13'th King a full set of Custom Artifacts.

I'll have to quote the great Crimson/kismet: You're not supposed to win the game. Ever.

While that's a bit too harsh maybe, I still think there's something to it. The thought of Morgoth being unbeatable is pretty comforting, still I like the fact (like we've discussed, Domiano) that the game should allow the expert player a great deal of success and not add "random" chances of death for no apparent reason. Perhaps it's simply Morgoth who should be beefed up or loopholes removed.

Summary: Great idea but there are too many winners currently, the economy would (over the run of an instance) be flooded with Custom Artifacts.
-- Mangband Project Team Member