Party Improvements

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Barium
Singing, Happy Drunk

Party Improvements

Post by Barium » Fri 13.12.2013, 00:46

Current party gameplay feels like solo with the exception that there are two or more players on the screen.

The following improvements are on my wish list:

- WoR improvements.
If you recall to town and come back you should come back to the place where you recalled from in the dungeon level.

- Party healing.
Heal spells could be changed to ball type of spells that are by default centered on the caster. They should heal players in the balls range (with the same efficiency loss due to range as dmg ball spells) and should damage undead creatures.
Similar could be done for mass versions of buffs, e.g. “Satisfy Hunger Mass”

-Intel should be shared in a party.
Every party member should see the same, traps, lit grid, walls, monsters, etc.. Some monsters abilities (think undead beholders do that) could disrupt that intel sharing for x amount of rounds or until a potion of self-knowledge been quaffed.

- Splitting loot.
If items get sold in town while in a party the gold gets split amongst all party members.

Emulord
King Vampire

Re: Party Improvements

Post by Emulord » Fri 13.12.2013, 20:44

WoR improvements arent really needed. Remember the recall spot. Its not like spells should change because of party behavior.

Party healing. YES. Current implementation requires more macros, which are not well documented. I think *every* buff spell should be splash for priests. That is just cool. However, this changes strategy. Having a far away priest healing to stay out of LOS of a breather no longer works.

Intel should be shared if the players have ESP.

Splitting gold should be a option. Some people enter in "parties" for very long periods of time just for the name. Having shared gold doesn't make sense in that case. Picked up gold in the dungeon gets split too.

Gorom
Skeleton Hobgoblin

Post by Gorom » Sat 14.12.2013, 19:59

I think that there should be a Party house feature to mangband. I know that in our party, The Orcus Patrol, has many houses. By adding in this feature into the game there will be less need for houses allowing a lower level character access to a large to medium house instead of getting the smallest crappy little houses. The party house would be a VERY large space like a mega vault sized thing where there would be houses for each of the players. I do believe that the people who are not in a party would abuse this ability so only party members should be allowed to buy these massive castle homes. There should be at least 7 or 8 rooms in each castle. 6 for the players and 2 for shared loot and things like that. If a person not in that party were to came up and buy an item like a normal house then the player that the item was housed by would get the money. If they bought an item from the shared part of the castle then the money would be either shared with all the people or something like that. I also know that the party Hello is very large. This would mean that there is a need for lots of these new houses. And there is the thing when your ghost dies you lose your houses and your loot in that. With the castle the house of the dead player would not disapear. It would only delete the slot of house that the dead player owned leaving the parts of the house that wasn't the dead player's perfectly fine. Still more things to work out so if you need more explanations just email me at fultond2017@gmail.com. Thank you

Andrak
Squint-Eyed Rogue

Post by Andrak » Sun 15.12.2013, 16:46

I think party houses are a good idea!!!Image

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 16.12.2013, 12:34

Party gameplay doesn't feel like solo at all since you share xp.

WoR improvements: a lot of work for little gain (recall point is fixed on each level)
Party healing: hell no, you don't want your characters to stand one next to another to avoid breaths annihilating the whole party
Intel should be shared in a party: not really, you do not share the same brain among party members, so current behavior is correct
Splitting loot: this would be nice, treating gold the same way as xp (shared pool for players on the same level); but the problem with shared LOOT is that you can't give gold to idle players in the same party, that would be cheezing
Party house: unfortunately this can't happen in current MAngband, simply because it opens the door to massive cheezing (high level + low level chars in the same party sharing the same loot)

Barium
Singing, Happy Drunk

Post by Barium » Mon 16.12.2013, 21:12

Zaxx wrote:Party gameplay doesn't feel like solo at all since you share xp.

WoR improvements: a lot of work for little gain (recall point is fixed on each level)
Party healing: hell no, you don't want your characters to stand one next to another to avoid breaths annihilating the whole party
Intel should be shared in a party: not really, you do not share the same brain among party members, so current behavior is correct
Splitting loot: this would be nice, treating gold the same way as xp (shared pool for players on the same level); but the problem with shared LOOT is that you can't give gold to idle players in the same party, that would be cheezing
Party house: unfortunately this can't happen in current MAngband, simply because it opens the door to massive cheezing (high level + low level chars in the same party sharing the same loot)
I have the vision of a party diving together and only occasional someone goes to town to buy consumables/sell loot. The WoR improvement would have very significant impact for party game play in my opinion. You should not have to travel through the entire map to get to your mate! Alternatively: always recall to a square next to a random party member on that level.

Party synergies are way to small to make up for the disadvantage you get by having double space corridors. It does not make much sense that the party member activated the summoning rune you spotted a few rounds ago and wiping you and him in the process. In a party you would warn your party members of such a danger. But the main hindrance for efficient game play is that you can not run anymore once "the guy in front" spotted a monster. (Here you share intel from the squares lit by a party member!)The battle is usually over till you get there. Sure you can showboat through the dungeon...

I am not sure if this is implemented yet: Unique monsters killed by a party members should count for every party member on that level and no unique should be able to spawned that has been killed by any party member.

Barium
Singing, Happy Drunk

Post by Barium » Mon 16.12.2013, 21:24

Zaxx, I am very happy that you guys still put so much effort in this game. I have not much clue about the *code* or how difficult any realization of my wishlist items would be.

A side note on cheezing: BM prices for healing potions and other stuff are *way* too low. This creates massive opportunities for cheezing at lower levels: Buy healing potions for 400ish gold and sell em for 20k to a player or trade em for 2 statpotions.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 17.12.2013, 13:03

"WoR improvements: a lot of work for little gain (recall point is fixed on each level)"

I take back what I said. Since now you have a distinct colour for party leader, going to town and recalling back SHOULD make you appear next to the party leader (unless you're the leader of course).

"A side note on cheezing: BM prices for healing potions and other stuff are *way* too low. This creates massive opportunities for cheezing at lower levels: Buy healing potions for 400ish gold and sell em for 20k to a player or trade em for 2 statpotions."

This is because some players are offering 20k for those... Doesn't matter if the seller bought the potion for 400 gold in BM, as long as some people offer too much for items, there will be cheeze.

"It does not make much sense that the party member activated the summoning rune you spotted a few rounds ago and wiping you and him in the process."

Not possible, since level features are not related to a player. Only the field of view is dependent on players. Once a player has detected traps in an area, they become visible for everybody as soon as they are in LOS.

"But the main hindrance for efficient game play is that you can not run anymore once "the guy in front" spotted a monster."

Well if the monster is in your LOS, running is disturbed. Doesn't matter if you're solo or in a party.

"I am not sure if this is implemented yet: Unique monsters killed by a party members should count for every party member on that level and no unique should be able to spawned that has been killed by any party member."

Hell no, you need to kill your own uniques. Otherwise you would miss a ton of excellent drops. The only thing implemented is that you only get loot/xp from an unique once.