Availability and Pricing

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Availability and Pricing

Post by Fink » Thu 12.06.2003, 05:18

If this were a single user game there would be no problem. But as its not and we want to have trade and interaction between players we have a problem.

Berendol has a nice server and that has given me a few ideas.
He has made destruction scrolls available and a few more things too.

Consider being a priest!
What makes a priest a priest? Healing I say, but as Healing potions are stocked at shop 7.
Potions and scrolls are more reliable than any spell. And every spell a priest has can be bought or found.
And if everything is available then everyone would be Warrior as they get one more blow, or Rouge for speed, etc.

With destruction scroll available why not become a warrior? Why not use it as a mage?... you get less fail.

On rohnan, my mage Nannif is buying restore mana potions for 30k and *healing for 50k and Life for 100k. There not commonly available in store, and not expensive, but very valuable to me. :D

OK. That's the description of the problem, now to a solution !!!

I believe some things should have a floating price. (Most expensive things)
Make all shops 1-6 have a max of 10-30k gold as in original angband. Thus making cash from them would not be so easy.
Shop 7 should not be so random, but should stock what's sold there and everything sold there should have BM pricing, a floating price. Every time you buy a healing potion the price goes up like 5 % and if you can only buy one at the time its very expencive to buy 100 of them. Everytime someone sells a Healing potion the price dropps 5%, and so on. And price should drop with time too (as normal with a shop, it costs to store things). Let the price vary from 1xBase price to 20x base price. And shop 7 should never become full.
Why not make one page with Healing potions and some other always stocked items, and the other page with temporary stuff. Some random and some sold recently, but all with a nice spicing, and all excellent at least.

For Istari, Speed boots etc, its more Individual, I bought Istari for 400k the other day. But I think that's extreme, but 40k or whatever is normal price is really too cheap. If you make shop 7 to only take 1/3 as profit, you will be able to force all players into trading this way.

Mages are the only class that has a spell not available through any means (GoI)

Mass genocide/Genocide should be rare, and so should *healing* as that's sort of trademark for Priest/Paladin

Rare should affect price!!!!  BM should offer a lot more than the 5k list price for a Crown of Might +3, as that's quite Rare, and very sought after. 50k is a lot better price.

My vote goes for a system where pricing takes care of itself.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Re: Availability and Pricing

Post by Fink » Thu 12.06.2003, 05:34

Actually I just looked at what is always stored today.

Enlightment and Healing potions makes Priest/Paladins suffer.

*Id* makes no one suffer.

Speed potions make Rouges/Rangers/Mages suffer.

Maybe this is balance, but think about it if you add something else to the list.

A warrior should maybe suffer too, and the only way I can see how is is you add restore mana potions.

By suffer I mean loss of players playing the class as its not as attractive anymore.

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Re: Availability and Pricing

Post by Berendol » Thu 12.06.2003, 11:46

We need more people like you. Keep up the good work. My solution to the ease of making money is to lower the base prices of expensive items that are easy to find, and raise the prices of items that make it easier to scum up some goodies. For example, DSM's on my server are a whole lot easier to find, so they're down to 8k for the cheapest ones.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)