Ironman setting

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Ironman setting

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Mon 28.10.2002, 18:09

I've been tripping through the source code, and saw Ironman.  I've also talked to Angus about it, and it sounds like it'd be fun.  Is this something that can be an option, and someone can do it if they want, or does the server have to be set to either ironman or non-ironman, and that's it?
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Re: Ironman setting

Post by Fink » Sun 11.07.2004, 19:31

*bump*

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Re: Ironman setting

Post by Berendol » Sun 18.07.2004, 08:33

It would be possible to add an Ironman mode. The Ironman flagged characters would not be restricted quite as much in this multiplayer variant as they would in single-player games. Recall would have to be selectively disabled for these players, and so would entering shops in town, and monsters would be tougher. The monster issue is the main one that's going to mess with game balance, because what happens when an Ironman summons a powerful OOD monster next to a poor newbie? They would be able to receive more useful help from other players... thus making the title of Ironman Winner meaningless, since anyone could get good at the game and power-level some random Joe to winner status by playing at his side and fetching items the whole way. But if you want a challenge, it can definitely be arranged when I've got the time.

Perhaps an Ironman server would be more appropriate? Yes, I like this idea.

Uhm, as an aside, please refrain from bumping unless you've got something to say also, since I can't keep up with the "10 most recent posts" as it is... I don't want to read a page of only "*Bump*" someday you know? Not that it'll happen here, but it has elsewhere.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)