Multihued, but not every hue.

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Multihued, but not every hue.

Post by Ashi » Sun 28.11.2004, 18:15

How about we allow monsters to flash several colours but not all colours? For example, the red D's in tome flash between pink, red, and maroon. It would allow us to add a distinguishing appearance to monsters, such as making uniques stand out from their army, or allowing you to tell between an ancient D and a great wyrm.

It would also lag out our dialup users.... well actually Meggie was the only one who complained about flashing monsters causing lag, so I don't know if it actually does...

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Re: Multihued, but not every hue.

Post by Berendol » Sun 28.11.2004, 19:05

Single-hue flashing?! Brilliant! Why don't we do that?

It won't lag any worse than it already does. It would just alternate between different colors, that's all.

I like it. My vote is in... in fact, I will look into doing this on DServ.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Hades
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Hades » Sun 28.11.2004, 20:46

It is an awsome idea bro. It would save lives from comman and often mistakes on identifying monsters. I think just about everyone here made some mistake on miscomparing 2 types of monsters because of there apearance.

Has my vote awsome idea.
PWMAngband Host - Check out http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 and download the client, server, lib files, sound fx patch and even the source code for this new variant!

Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Post by Avenger » Mon 29.11.2004, 23:17

Excellent idea, and apparently not difficult to implement. Definitely something to be included in the next version of mang.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Mon 29.11.2004, 23:55

I like it. A similar idea floated through me noggin a ways back, but from the accessibility angle - we use some subtle shading to communicate things, that perhaps some might find hard to distinguish.

What kind of palette is available? All the old Commodore 64 palette cycling comes to mind (black-dark grey-medium grey-light grey-white and reverse, etc).

Endless possibilities here - make your @ symbol be colored to represent different states (different buffs, etc).

-fink

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Mon 29.11.2004, 23:57

Hm, on the lag front, does the flash need to be server side? Could the client be modified to have the flashing done client-only? That is, it doesnt matter that the flashing is synced up to something, in principle; it only matters thats its simply flashing.

-fink

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Tue 30.11.2004, 00:28

I've successfully done this on the codebase that I'll be putting on DServ (and releasing to the public) very shortly. Just gotta fix a few loose ends and you can have it all!

To make the flashing happen client-side, you'd have to change the way the server and client talk to each other, and the way the client updates its display. Go ahead and try it if you'd like, but I think that in this age of prevalent broadband access and nothing less than 56k available in stores, it's a waste of time.

(edit) If you wanted to do that and not break things, you might be able to set aside a special attribute value and have the server send that to the client. That would be doable I think but I'm not doing it :P
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Wed 01.12.2004, 00:11

" think that in this age of prevalent broadband access and nothing less than 56k available in stores, it's a waste of time. "

This is great - I gotta get all my programmer buddies to read this comment. Classic!