MAngband status

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Warrior
Evil Iggy

MAngband status

Post by Warrior » Wed 12.04.2006, 16:07

Would it be a possibility for the maintainer to post some information about what plans and ambitions he has for the game?

I'm asking this in the forums since every time I try to approach the maintainer for a conversation. he seems, to be totally honest - almost hostile towards me.

It makes me think that if the game and the community is such a bother to him, maybe he should, as maintainers have done before him, step down and let someone else take over.

I'm not shouting "lets lynch the landlord" or anything, I'd just like some feedback other than "I'm busy" or similar.

Thats all

Warrior
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Re: MAngband status

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Wed 12.04.2006, 18:04

One thing you've gotta realize is that Crimson really IS busy most of the times...often he's not even in the COUNTRY, and when he IS here, at times he's gotta deal with crap like my pkilling and people whining in general.

I don't think he's really told ANYONE what his grand schemes for his changes to Manband are...and that's not 'cos he doesn't like you, it's probably because either he doesn't know, or he doesn't want to get our hopes up for some cool new feature that doesn't work out.

Or, it could be that he really IS a dick...although that, I highly doubt  ;)

If I can ever figure out the whole "name reporting to the metaserver" issue figured out, I'll reset my server and post it...there's all kinds of cool things Angus did that, honestly, I can't remember for the life of me.
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

Domino
Giant Hunter Ant

Post by Domino » Sat 15.04.2006, 22:10

I modded a lot of the ego items, made many arts more difficult to find or easier to find depending on how actually useful they were.  Tweaked stats, hps, mana for all the classes and was working on priest/paladin prayers.

I also tweaked most of the uniques to make them more difficult but also drop better.  I never got around to making a changelog.  When I have more time after I get settled into the new job I'll probably sit down and actually plan out a bunch of changes and document them as I go and re-do all of the stuff I changed.

I was also playing with trying to get rand-arts implemented and remove the static arts all together since they've been a source of contention for players for forever but I was having a lot of trouble with that.  I wanted to make it so that it would roll a randart based on depth so that if you generate one at 100' it'll be much like one of the boomerangs, but if you generate one at 6350 it would be godly.  I don't have the time to mess with it now though.
King of the Hill Baby!

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Fri 25.08.2006, 09:17

Again.
Same question.

I don't want to throw our peaceful world of mangband into total chaos and mayhem by provoking the maintainer to retire or something like that,  but, please - one sentence or maybe two,  to answer the first post.

I'm not trying to get in the way of the maintainers job, his fishing, his wife, his NCAA or anything but I do remember him making a promise in december/january saying he'd pay more attention to the game and try to be around more.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Sat 26.08.2006, 01:56

I'm going to have to agree with you all here... this thing has been getting stale for years. Crimson's infrequent communication with the community is frustrating. I wish I could post the video capture I made of the tour he gave me of the audit system, which was about twice as feature-complete as my Dynamo. So I can't honestly say he's been totally uninformative, just infrequently informative. My efforts were all I could do as a college freshman. I don't even have time for games now! When I do have time for games, I don't want to play something stale. I check back here every so often to see if anything new happened, and it didn't. But I'm hoping it's going to.

Now, nothing is stopping anyone from shelling out the bucks for decent hosting, and publicizing a new variant via angband.oook.cz or rec.games.roguelike.angband.... except for the bucks part, right? Just gotta find some rich benefactor  ;D  You don't have to call it "MAngband", you know.

I have a job as a sysadmin, so I'll keep you posted if I find some spare resources that we can use, that would be worth while. And when this site goes dark someday, there's always the newsgroups.

I guess, in summary, don't jump ship or mutiny just because the captain takes more naps than Rip Van Winkle, alright? Get yer own boat or keep sailing :-P
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

... been on my mind for a couple years:

Post by Fink » Sun 04.03.2007, 04:10

This triggered a thought that has been percolating in my noggin for some time. But, I realize that what I was writing about was more related to a thread I started recently, here.