Houses

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Houses

Post by Maegdae » Fri 25.04.2003, 17:22

How about a way for rich people to create their own houses in tbe wilderness?
It could cost several millions of $ at minimum.
For 5-10 million $ you could get a very nice, large house.
Right now, there seems to be a shortage of large houses.. and, it usually doesn't get any smaller, since very few people sell big houses.
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Re: Houses

Post by Warrior » Fri 03.08.2007, 07:07

As has been suggested several times over the years and most recently in http://www.mangband.org/cgi-bin/yabb/Ya ... 74;start=4
As suggested in the past, let players build castles. If they find a level in the wilderness, they must first buy the entire level for a massive amount, THEN they can build whatever they want there, a normal house with whatever dimensions they'd like or pick a number from the vault list.

I'm not sure if the wilderness levels layout should be changeable, in a way I think I'd prefer not. It'd be more fun to run around the wilderness trying to find a great looking level, maybe with some small lakes, maybe some mountains... Since you can recall to any random wilderness level I don't think the prices should vary a lot, though they should be higher in the immediate area around town, maybe up to 5-6 levels from town, since this would allow people to visit their levels more easily.

Historically, wealthy families owned lots of land and at least one great castle, so in a way each wilderness level should probably not be insanely expensive, I think around 10M would probably be right.  Maybe 20M or higher for those closer to town. 1 and 2 locations from town would still be the way they are now, with some small and some larger houses, but not directly buyable. There'd maybe be an outer town wall outside this.

But the castles themselves should probably range from at least 2-3M for the smallest ones and up to maybe 100-200M for the huge ones. This seems kinda historically correct.  
I'd guess there's at least 1500-2000 wilderness levels out there, so there's plenty of room for everyone.

How about just adjusting town houses in a way similar to what fink_mage suggested, make it so that each player can only own one town house, all town houses have reasonable sizes, ranging from rather small, maybe 2x3 or so up to somewhat large, maybe 6x6 at most. And then the first and second level around town could have fixed houses, maybe west of town would be with larger houses, for the rich and east of town smaller houses for the poor, and so on? And then outside of that again people could buy entire wilderness levels and build custom sized houses or vaults there, if they have the cash.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Re: Houses

Post by Berendol » Fri 03.08.2007, 10:00

There are plenty of wilderness levels. Here's an exact figure, from defines.h:

/* The number of wilderness levels we have allocated. */
#define MAX_WILD 4096

I've been toying with the OP's idea for around five years. I wanted to make a shop-only Scroll of (lesser/normal/greater) Expand House that you could buy for a large sum that would balloon out the side of your house, so you'd stand inside and read it next to a wall. That would very much increase the selling price of the house, since custom construction goes for sky-high prices!

This lines up pretty nicely with Maegdae and Ashi's ideas. The only thing is... how can it be done, when the wilderness is not static? Perhaps add a linked list of sorts to each wilderness level, so the houses can be expanded properly after the level is generated? The only thing I can see going wrong that way is too many expansions would hang the server while it generates the level. Making the house contents go poof when you die would be a challenge, too, but flood-fill algorithms should take care of that.

Maybe a Scroll of Create Vault House / Scroll of Create Greater Vault House would be fun, too. I'm thinking 50M for Vault, 200M for GV.

Perhaps these things shouldn't even be scrolls, but one-charge items that destroy themselves when they work, so anyone using one has a guarantee that they'll get a house.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)