Gold disappears in shops

Think you've found a bug? Please report it here.
Billsey
King Vampire

Re: Gold disappears in shops

Post by Billsey » Thu 03.09.2009, 16:18

Thorbear wrote: I hereby state that this bug is not caused by too many items dropped in wilderness.
I dropped 110 piles of 10 AU, and left it there for 2 hours and 20 minutes, without a single pile disappearing.
Unfortunately, item compaction doesn't happen that predictably. It's very possible that your stacks of gold actually caused other stacks elsewhere in the game to disappear. Since the compaction routine looks at the game as a whole, if there aren't several dungeon levels active when you're mucking around in the wilderness you may not reach the limits, and if you do reach the limits the gold that's removed from the game may be at a different location. :-(
Mangband Project Team Member

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Thu 03.09.2009, 17:11

perhaps have the game try to remove less valuable items first, like it does in death could be a temporary solution? I know that having it check the values of *all* items could be bad, so perhaps instead you just have a It look for items under a certain value. If it can't find any, you will move the value up a bit. This would remove the 'junk clutter', stop large gold piles from diapering, and also keep cool stuff like the treasures ascii left around ;)
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

karis
Giant House Fly

Post by karis » Fri 04.09.2009, 11:06

If some object compaction destroys the gold, it should be possible to log this, shouldn't it?

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Post by Thorbear » Fri 04.09.2009, 13:51

Billsey wrote:
Thorbear wrote: I hereby state that this bug is not caused by too many items dropped in wilderness.
I dropped 110 piles of 10 AU, and left it there for 2 hours and 20 minutes, without a single pile disappearing.
Unfortunately, item compaction doesn't happen that predictably. It's very possible that your stacks of gold actually caused other stacks elsewhere in the game to disappear. Since the compaction routine looks at the game as a whole, if there aren't several dungeon levels active when you're mucking around in the wilderness you may not reach the limits, and if you do reach the limits the gold that's removed from the game may be at a different location. :-(
And there are more than 110 other piles of gold in wildy?
And how do you then explain the fact that the 1.6M I dropped disappeared right under my feet, seconds after I had dropped it?
(There were nobody else in wildy at the time, so the setting was pretty much the same).
I am Thorbear...

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Fri 04.09.2009, 17:17

The compaction routine ran while you were standing there looking at your lovely pile of gold. This happened (probably) because someone entered a new dungeon level, and the dungeon generation created too many objects. That forced the compaction routine, and your gold pile was one of the first ones to show up as it cycled through the list of items in the game. Bad luck (have you been sacrificing enough to the RNG?)

It should be fixed now. We did two things; the first was to rot vegetables away before removing gold piles, the second to only take things like piles of gold from wilderness houses in the direst of times (very, very unlikely to ever happen). Unfortunately it looks like some other fix that was rolled in at the same time this one was implemented on the server broke something else, and corrupt items or monsters are getting generated. We'll get that sorted out quickly, I hope.
Mangband Project Team Member