Later die =(.

Post the obvious, so we can all chuckle with you...
Hades
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Later die =(.

Post by Hades » Tue 20.10.2009, 11:53

Well I think this is a stupid death,
Just started playing again after 18months, got myself a level 40 ranger. Level 33 I am diving to 4350ft, level 40 i am diving 4950ft-5k ;). I was at 4900ft hunting wyrms for speed rings and what not. I see a grey C, I don't think anything of it. I approach but I boost myself just in case. I bash the beast over the head, he stumbles and looks directly into my eyes, it wasn't until then I saw the the error... For Huan gazed at me. I didn't teleport, i thought sense I came this far I might as well finish him off. We are in a violent battle, Later was getting the better end and Huan was starting to fear him and his Trident of Wrath. But then, Later takes a swing, he catches himself off balance and Huan see's his opportunity. He breaths the powerful spell Shards... Later, thinking he is fine as a 5 and close to 500 thinks nothing of the attack, but then the attack takes down over 400hp???? "What is this? I resistance shards!" screams Later as his spirit is ripped away forcefully from his psychical body.

Later is in a wall as a ghost, wondering how a shard attack can take out so much hit points while resistenced. as another thought came to me. No one who plays this game dives as deep as I do besides 3people who NEVER PLAY! And to make a long story short I made my way back to the surface as a ghost after contemplating going to morgy level and letting him take me out instead. Now I am in town with basically no gear cause i hadn't found any backup gear yet. =(.

Bad luck =).
PWMAngband Host - Check out http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 and download the client, server, lib files, sound fx patch and even the source code for this new variant!

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Re: Later die =(.

Post by schroeder » Tue 20.10.2009, 19:00

Sorry to hear this :(
Similar thing happened to me a little more than a year ago. I fought the tarrasque, and died cus I couldn't telleport away cus of a light bug. I was then almost killed inside the wall as a ghost by something, and <'d up with great fear from *max* depth. Not something I reccomend doing, unless you want to have a heart attack. Eventually, I got not depressed, and came back and won the game.
To me, this is just more proof that I need to Sacrafice a month of free time to lvling a great, NON-brave character again, so i can be called into action whenever, since I'm usually at least idling on the IRC, and I usually check it whenever i'm home.

But yeah, bad luck with those shards. This is how resist shards works: max damage is 400, and, with resist, you recieve 6/(6+1d6) damage, meaning you could still recieve as much as 343 damage from one shards breath, even though you resist it.
The damage is similar for all high resists (number/other number +1 d yet another number), which is why they can be so scarry, and which is yet another reason why i highly advocate reading monster spoilers, especially for breaths.
I mean heck, The Tarrasquee can easily kill anyone with less than 1000hp in two breaths, even WITH full resists if your unlucky!
Moral of the story; always be paranoid about health and monsters, and always carry at least two backup gearsets. And if you think your gonna die before you meet morgoth, wear you backup gear, while your real gear sits in your house.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

Hades
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Hades » Wed 21.10.2009, 02:47

I hear you,
I just never found backup gear, only been playing for a week came back after about a year n a half. I'm not upset over it I just only find the game fun at lower depths, starting over as level 1 is very tedious and boring to me. But level 40 in a week isn't bad considering how rusty I am. Best gear I found was a magi +3 esp crown and Trident of Wrath, everything else I had to buy because I just haven't been able to find anything at all. So it took a lot of work =). (diving at 4250ft at level 33 helped) But I will keep playing, a level 36 ranger with no gear is better then a level 1 with no gear eh? =). You haven't seen the last of Later =).

I just remember when I last played back when Crimson was still Admin of the server. Was that always like that with shards? I don't remember it being that powerful. I haven't took the time to study the new changes. After playing the game for so long relearning it isn't fun by reading spoilers, I am old fashion. But this is a learning experience for me and next time I will play smarter. Thats the thrill of the game to me is learning everything by game play not reading spoilers heh.
PWMAngband Host - Check out http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 and download the client, server, lib files, sound fx patch and even the source code for this new variant!

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Wed 21.10.2009, 06:26

Master Thief would have rescued you. But it was at a bad time of day when I was at work so it would have taken a while. Harsh (but good story) :)
-- Mangband Project Team Member

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Wed 21.10.2009, 12:12

If you check V306, shards do 500 damage, not 400. A ticket has been opened for this: http://mangband.org/developer/ticket/752. I don't think this has been added in the 1.1.2 release, but maybe it was...