Lopper is no more!

Post the obvious, so we can all chuckle with you...
Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Lopper is no more!

Post by Fink » Sat 04.09.2004, 02:46

Lopper finally bit the dust 'killed by a dracolisk' who breathed fire before i could use my high-elf warrior level 42(lvl45 max) +23 speed and 5 bpr, 878hp(max 1035hp). I had all the resses but nexus and poison. Oh well level 50 just wasn't my fate. Hmm I wish I could have Lopper's ghost back...my houses are what I lament most... a mature dragon came up and killed my ghost while I was seeing what gear Lopper had dropped. Mature red dragon how lame a death... My first semi-successful player! Dead! Might as well use my new computer and buy EverQuest, NOT!  I am deffinetly a loyal member of mangband.

Junk! All Junk! This game is too @%*!*% hard! exp cost is just gastly can't there be less of a penalty for death. My conscience is running wild now... I finally have a reason to quit this waste of time... I had hoped to party with more people. Mangband is still such a lonely game!

I still have Radagast. Lvl 35 High-elf Mage. I have little heart to play him. Death is immenent. Be ready! It will come when you least/most expect it. The agony of each hit bringing you heal potion by heal potion down to your last one. All hope of teleporting, geno, destro is gone. Blow after painful blow, you finally crumple. On the other hand you could just get hit with Fire which has a damage exceeding the possible amount of hp a character can have in the game. Fire res just doesn't block fire at range. Double res is just annoying with a warrior. How are you supposed to carry masses of loot back up if your inventory is full of preventitive measures which fail you any how.

I hope you all have a good Labor day Weekend! I will get over my labor loss!

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Re: Lopper is no more!

Post by Fink » Sat 04.09.2004, 20:25

Aiii! No! Sorry to hear of the Ultimate Loss bro! Your poor warrior will be missed.

On that note, however, you comments do seem to follow the convention of fighters as good-to-start-lame-later / mages-tough-to-start-better-later. Get crackin on your mage!

-Fink

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Tue 14.09.2004, 15:50

You got it- level 39 and counting. Double resist has got to be the key here. Radagast is a whole lot of fun to play. Playing it safe at 2000ft.  

I heard Gargoyle got toasted as well. I am a trend setter? I sure hope not!

VIVA EL EQUIPO!

Gargoyle
Mangy-Looking Leper

Post by Gargoyle » Tue 14.09.2004, 22:04

well, Gargoyle got toasted (again). He was a lvl 50 half-orc ranger. had a master mistic summon choas hounds on me. dead. and then I was stairing up and ran into a pack of plasma hounds. He will be missed. but hey, this will give me a chance to play something that can actually be able to kill morgy.
mess with the best, die like the rest

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Sat 18.09.2004, 12:05

Yeah, Gargoyle, get going on a mage! We need someone to go deep and bring us poor losers some good dsm and RoS! :P

-fink

Anyar
Giant Troll

Post by Anyar » Sat 18.09.2004, 12:21

bleargh
i should suicide my ranger
hes nowhere near as good as the one i had before him
abd trying to get a good level mage again might be good

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Sat 18.09.2004, 13:10

Nah, dont suicide your char - he might be usefull sometime, and can at least be used for self rescues for a while.

Anyar
Giant Troll

Post by Anyar » Sat 18.09.2004, 15:57

hes got no good gear and crap for stats so ill sell his stuff, hide his gold in the wild somewhere and suicide
I have a warehouse of stuff for ashi too
he might want that stuff
has anyone seen him?

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Sat 18.09.2004, 16:55

I doubt you'll see Ashi for a few weeks. A little birdie told me he's busy with real life right now.

Too bad on your losses, guys. I think we should loosen up the death penalty. You're not guaranteed your stuff or safety, so maybe the current penalty is a little harsh. It should be at least a 15-minute setback for an experienced player diving for his normal monsters.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Anyar
Giant Troll

Post by Anyar » Sat 18.09.2004, 18:53

i 4got something
that house with stuff 4 ashi doesnt have a key
i lost it or someone stole it
some of that stuff is valuabale though

can i get this key back somehow??

funkayguestyw00

Post by funkayguestyw00 » Sat 18.09.2004, 23:35

"You must remember that the ultimate goal of the game is to kill you, as quickly and efficiently as possible. You aren't supposed to win, ever. "
An appropriate quote for this game. he.he

I think the game originally was intended to be so hard that there could only be one active high level person if there were at least 50 low level peoples.

And keep in mind that vanilla angband itself can only be won if your character never dies, ever. In MAngband, most people have died at least once, usually in the level 20-30 range. You can die over and over again and still hit high levels.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Sun 19.09.2004, 01:32

While I dislike, of course, getting squished, I dont know if I see much point to lessening the death penalty. I guess I never thought about it.

As for guests comments, what we gain in being able to recover from death, we make up for by most commonly doing without art and dealing with realtime monsters that are suprisingly speedy. All in all, I'd say that Mangband more or less ends up being on a broadly similar level compared to Angband.