Anybody home?

All your questions answered.
Snappy
Blubbering Idiot

Anybody home?

Post by Snappy » Tue 23.08.2005, 21:32

Hello...I'm new to this game...I ran across Angband a few months ago, and fell in love with the game (and its' crappified graphics...I don't know why...But the worse the graphics, the more I love a game...)...My question is this...Does anyone play this game anymore?  I've noticed that people stopped posting months ago.  I'm just wondering if (yet again), did I find something pretty damn cool that's 'yesterdays news' or something.

I hope somebody responds! lol...

Snappy
I have something very important to tell you, so pay careful attention--There are eels in my hovercraft, and they're after the potato salad. I must go now.

Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Re: Anybody home?

Post by Avenger » Fri 26.08.2005, 18:40

Unfortunately, there aren't very many people playing MAngband currently. I still play occasionally, and I've seen other people on fairly recently. One of the reasons I don't play very often anymore is because no one else is on; however, I log on whenever I see anyone else on, so please keep playing. The more people we have playing, the more likely it is that former players will come back. So stick with it, don't get discouraged by your first few deaths (which will happen), and whenever someone new logs on, encourage them to do the same. Hopefully I will see you online sometime soon.
-Avenger

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Sat 27.08.2005, 23:57

Yeah, it's been awhile since I played too.

I used to run a fun variant server too but the hard drive goes SCRAPE KA-CHUNK. That box is about as useful as a football bat right now... it's dead.

With college starting up (or already started for some) we should try to run an advertising campaign on campuses if we want to get some new life in the system. Viral marketing works, so tell your friends and acquaintances about the game. Fliers work, just don't get in trouble.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Post by Avenger » Sun 28.08.2005, 00:23

So that's why I haven't seen dserv up for a while... too bad, it was a good variant.

That advertising campaign sounds like a good idea. I'll be starting my freshman year next week, so I'll see what I can do on my campus. Additionally, I know a few MAngband players have their own websites; it might help if we all put up some kind of Mang page. Other than that, keep playing whenever you can, and help out new players whenever you see them on.

Another thing I think would help would be if the game was still under active development. Has anyone heard from Crimson recently?