Greetings to all!

All your questions answered.
Warrior
Evil Iggy

Greetings to all!

Post by Warrior » Wed 05.10.2005, 16:30

Hi guys... been a while.

For those of you, (this might include most of you) who doesn't know me, I'm Warrior, a once very active player and member of the MAngband community. I started playing MAngband not many months after it's "birth" and between 1997 and 2003 I put quite a few thousand hours into the game.

I see there's a lot (well, all things are relative) of talk about the lack of players on the servers these days and I find that pretty sad, considering the huge potential of this game.

For my own part I've been caught up in the terrible state of having a life, including work, girlfriends, other hobbies and just cursed adult life in general.

This said I've also played a few other games that has taken up any spare time that I might've had so... I guess its the same for all of us.

Well, I just thought I'd say hi, see if any of the old guys still are out there and maybe we could all dive down to 4000 ft, run around like headless chickens and have ourselves trashed by the Mouth of Sauron  ;D

See you and play you all soon

Warrior
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Re: Greetings to all!

Post by Avenger » Wed 05.10.2005, 17:14

Great to have you back Warrior! Looks like some of the older players are coming back now, so maybe we can get this game started again. I will start playing more once I can get the Internet connection in my dorm working, and I can also talk to Narchan about coming back. Also there are a few former mang players on ToME-net now, so we might be able to get a few of them back. And Bigjuan, maybe you could talk to the rest of the Oregon crew and get them playing again?Anybody hear from Maegdae, Ashi, Sav, Dwarfy, Roseblood, Laoshi, etc., or most importantly Crimson lately? If so, it looks like MAngband could come back to life.
See you in game as soon as possible Warrior, and everybody else who's still playing.
-Avenger

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Wed 05.10.2005, 21:48

What do you mean "the rest of the Oregon crew?"  It consists of me, Angus, Varguar and Mozze...and since some SERIOUS RL drama went down involving Mozze...I seriously doubt he'll log on again, as he knows Angus and I will prevent him from playing.

Don't ask, it's bad.

But, on the plus side, I'm tryin' to get Angus to get off his dead butt and reconnect his server...so mebbe that'll happen sometime soon.
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Post by Avenger » Thu 06.10.2005, 09:44

That was what I meant by the Oregon crew, just you four. I'm not gonna ask what happened with Mozze, because, quite frankly, I don't want to know, but if you can get Angus and his sever back online that would be great.

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Sat 08.10.2005, 19:45

Bigjuan, Angus, Varguar, Mozze... I take full responsibility for that phrase being used to describe you guys. Sorry. What would you prefer?
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Sun 09.10.2005, 03:32

Ah, voices from the semi-distant past.  It's odd, but I think I'm right there with some of you - I feel like I'm waiting for the right excuse to play again.

Work got pretty busy for a bit (and has since mellowed). Started playing Angband (man, so much interesting new stuff in it) a bit and, well, yeah - I'm down for some MAngband. I miss GoI :P

-fink

oh yeah - Crimson is actually suprisingly easy to get in touch with. Just go to his irc server (irc.mangband.org), and ask him whatever. If you keep connected, he will eventually see it and respond. Like, ask a question, go to work, and when you come back home, you'll see his response. It's like ultra-slow IM-ing :P

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Sun 09.10.2005, 13:34

Thanks all! Great to be back, I've played a bit now and I'm up to lv 25 or so, gonna have to read up on the spoilers and such before I do much more.

I've also been scumming the forums today, lots of interesting reading - but I found out that the old forum at crud.net appears to be dead.

Anyone know anything about this? It'd be really cool to read it again, outdated and silly of course, but still fun to read.

I googled some of the old guys + mangband and one hit led me to the following info:

/* Option : give (most!) mages a bonus hitpoint / lvl */
     if (cfg_mage_hp_bonus)
           if ((p_ptr->pclass == CLASS_MAGE) && (strcmp(p_ptr->name,"Seth"))) mhp += p_ptr->lev;

plus Berendol's comment:

Somebody named "Seth" was getting excluded from the mage hitpoint bonus. I removed this exclusion and simplified the if.

Just a funny thing to see. Seth was one of the real old timers, started playing about the same time as Conn and I did, spring/summer 97 IIRC.  I still find it pretty damn funny that Alex _DID_ exclude him when he requested it. Looking back, I have to give it to Alex, he was a  good server admin and maintanier.

(we'd see "Seth was killed by a trap" as a lvl 19 human mage almost daily).

Just a funny story.
Play you all soon.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Sun 09.10.2005, 21:01

Note: That line from the changelog is for BMAngband only. The exception is still intact in MAngband... along with two others: Strider and Tarik.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Mon 10.10.2005, 04:55

Whoa whoa whoa, whats this? Like, I name myself those things and I'm hosed?

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Mon 10.10.2005, 13:46

Hosed is such a strong word. I prefer "developmentally restricted"...

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Mon 10.10.2005, 14:10

Pwned is good too.
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Mon 10.10.2005, 15:31

Hey, this may be a bit of a stretch, but if a number of ye olde guarde roll back, I wonder if we could get a fresh instance started.  I mean, you know, so Angus and Juan can come mop up all the sweet art. Hmm. Yeah, nevermind :P

-fink

Domino
Giant Hunter Ant

Post by Domino » Mon 10.10.2005, 15:56

Well see,

There was SUPPOSED to be a new instance and an upgrade to 0.8.0 as soon as someone kinged.. So I did it in like 3 weeks.. unfortunately 0.8.0 wasn't ready (and I assume RL has gotten in the way of it being finished yet) so who knows.  

I'd be up for a server reset though.  As Juan says I may be getting my server back up shortly as I should have some free time on my hands (damn lay-offs) so that may be a possibility for a fresh server too.

- Angus/Jube/Domino/Justice uhh how many of these do I have again?
King of the Hill Baby!

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Mon 10.10.2005, 18:49

Yeah, I recall Crim saying that he was going to do an uber reset after the last calamity-caused reset. Now, if memory serves me correctly, I believe he mentioned doing his retune of monster difficulty. I'm still curious what that would be like. I think he said something about being suprised how quickly someone kinged, so he was not ready for us.

Hm, if you put a server up, I'll be torn between mangband.org and yours. Is it wise to dilute things so much with such a small band of players?

-fink

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Mon 10.10.2005, 19:05

Of course it is.  It's not dilution, each server has it's own things.  Angus's server has some things turned on, like ghost diving, and some other changes (not giving away any secrets there...you'll just have to play around with stuff you'd normally chuck).

Crimson has always encouraged others to compile and run their own servers, from what I remember.