maybe silly questions.

All your questions answered.
binMonkey
Squint-Eyed Rogue

maybe silly questions.

Post by binMonkey » Fri 11.05.2007, 22:57

hi.  i'm a newbie at this.  i love nethack/crawl/etc and am jazzed about playing online.  but first some questions:

why didn't i have to compile mangband?  i use ubuntu and it took me forever to figure out that i just had to click mangclient.

when i start the game should on of the windows read angband?

should i stick all the files in a file called /usr/games/manband maybe?

and, can i get rid of the server files to save on space?

thanks,

rich

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Re: maybe silly questions.

Post by Berendol » Sun 13.05.2007, 22:05

[quote author=binMonkey link=board=newbies;num=1178942231;start=0#0 date=05/11/07 at 22:57:11]hi.  i'm a newbie at this.  i love nethack/crawl/etc and am jazzed about playing online.  but first some questions:

why didn't i have to compile mangband?  i use ubuntu and it took me forever to figure out that i just had to click mangclient.

when i start the game should on of the windows read angband?

should i stick all the files in a file called /usr/games/manband maybe?

and, can i get rid of the server files to save on space?

thanks,

rich[/quote]

You downloaded a binary distribution, which makes things easier. You *could* compile it if you want, but since it already works... I'd suggest playing for a while before you toy with that.

Regarding the window titles... Maybe? I don't pay much attention to the window titles.

You can put the game wherever you want, as long as you and whatever other users have access to it.

Yes, you can get rid of some of the server files. Remove the files mangconsole, mangband, and runserv. Also, lib/data and lib/save are not needed by the client. You can delete src/ since it doesn't seem to be needed on your system and it's always freely available. Is space really that much of a premium on your system, though? Try deleting the tarball and the zipped tarball.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)