Alts

All your questions answered.
Puri
Blubbering Idiot

Alts

Post by Puri » Fri 20.07.2007, 01:12

Greetings. I'm 'Puri', Mehmet Demirayak from Turkey. I learned about this game from a friend at work. Sorrily I couldn't log in until he decided to stop playing and shift back to his RPI MUD. Seems the policy doesn't let you login from the same IP.

Turkey's timezone is +7 EST, so usually when I play, there's noone else around. This causes a problem when you die. Yesterday a bad thing happened and I found a solution, now thinking about it, I want to make sure it's legal. I read all the rules but couldn't find an answer to that situation.

While I was wandering around at 250 ft with my level 8 Puri, I found a scroll of summoning. Being the total newbie, I thought it would summon me a helping NPC and quickly read it. Then a snaga named Lagduff and his friends - about 25 of them - decided to surround me and beat me up in nearly seconds.

I waited with my ghost for someone to come and help me for about half an hour, in vain. Then I got bored and using the abilities of being a ghost - frightening presence and being able to pick the place to fight - , I slayed Lagduff and his friends, then all the creatures in the depth. I knew I shouldn't leave the depth or all my items would disappear. But there was noone to help me.

So I logged out, quickly made a half-troll warrior named Mame, started running down into the dungeon madly. I didn't bother fighting at all. I located each stairs downwards and quickly headed to the depth 250 ft. Then I logged Mame out and logged back in with Puri.

I quickly ran to the fourth shop, get resurrected and then bought only a torch. Using the same tactic, I ran back to 250 ft and grabbed all my items. Then I recalled.

So, was it all right to use an alternative character to save myself?

Also, I would like to hear it if someone has hints about how deep I should go as I level and what I should wear for what depth.

Thanks in advance for your response. Now I will go play some.

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Re: Alts

Post by Warrior » Fri 20.07.2007, 10:50

I'd say thats a perfectly fine solution. Take care of it yourself. :)

I've done the same thing a few times, but you should probably suicide the rescue guy after completing the mission. But - there are no rules against having multiple characters so you're free to do what you want.

However, in the past we've had some problems with good players having as many as 3-4-5 high level characters each and since MAngband has only one set of artifacts it can make you pretty unpopular if your characters has half the artifacts. Especially if you don't play for many many months like these guys.

If you check the ingame highscore (#) you will see many players who committed suicide in town a few months ago, that was the server admin who logged them in and retired them to fix the problem (and some others with it).

Glad you're enjoying the game, it can be kinda hard but that just makes it even more rewarding and fun when you do well :)

Hints depends on your playing style, but generally I think the best advice is to pick your fights wisely, don't think you can kill everything you see. Stay in narrow corridors or at least around a corner when fighting monsters, get macros working for cure serious/critical wounds and phase door/teleport scrolls.  There'll always be more levels and more stuff to find, usually you shouldn't push your luck, it's better to retreat and fight another day. :)

Good luck!
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Re: Alts

Post by Fink » Fri 20.07.2007, 21:08

Yeah, the "self rescue" scenario is a classic one, to deal with the problem of noone being around to help you :)

As Warrior said, it's ok to have alternate character. The important thing is to treat them as totally separate. This means that you shouldnt give items from one character to another for free - that alt should buy them just like any other player would normally.