Ports blocking other ports?

All your MAngband related technical questions answered. Problems compiling or running the game/server? No problem! Ask here.
Hades
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Ports blocking other ports?

Post by Hades » Fri 14.12.2007, 12:38

Well, I ran into this problem back when I started running my mangband server. As you all know you have to open ports in order to run a mangband server. So I opened those ports and ever since I have been unable to connect to mangband.org. (server) I said ohwell not really a big issue. Then mangband.org moves to europe. Problem fixed! Awesome! I decide I want to host my own website, so I open port 80. Now it seems every site with the same port open that is stationed in america is automatically blocked by my router. All out of country sites are not, same with servers. Weird eh? Any suggestions? I have a Netgear DG834GT. Any help is awesome.

Jug
King Lich

Post by Jug » Fri 14.12.2007, 16:11

I would suggest this is a router misconfiguration. I have exactly the same netgear router and have no such problems.

Often the most straightforward way to resolve issues with router configuration (if your not too familiar with technical details) is to reset the router back to it's factory settings and reconfigure it. The Netgear has a very simple wizard (as you probably have already seen) to reconfigure the basic settings. Once the router is working normally again, then attempt to do the config for your game and webserver. What you are looking for here is "port forwarding".

This Netgear knowledge base article gives you step by step instructions for configuring port forwarding.

Hades
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Hades » Fri 14.12.2007, 18:12

haha, took me a few hours cause I forgot which password I used so I had to figure it out again.

But Topic closed! Problem resolved... Thanks Jug =).