Compiling 1.10 on windows

All your MAngband related technical questions answered. Problems compiling or running the game/server? No problem! Ask here.
Ace
Crystal Ooze

Compiling 1.10 on windows

Post by Ace » Wed 02.04.2008, 09:29

Hi there!

Is there any chance I get 1.10 compiled on windows?

I heard that cygwin would not work - so I skipped that step. I downloaded Mingw, but I have even trouble to ./configure or make.... Honestly, I dont know what to do now, and there is not much documentation coming with mingw.

Any start point?

I also downloaded from the dev area the whole "trunk" part which is I guess enough to give this a try at least :)

Jug
King Lich

Post by Jug » Wed 02.04.2008, 10:28

Hi Ace,

Firstly, please don't use the trunk branch for compiling. This will get you a broken server, and probably a broken client (which could also cause the live server to crash). Instead use either the source on the Download Page or if you want to use the subversion repository, use it as described on the How To Compile Page.

The easiest way to compile yourself is to use the C compiler you are most familiar with, if you're not familiar with any, then all roads will take a little effort.

For MinGW make sure you have installed msys, as this is needed to run configure. Installing these tools is by far the hardest part of the task, be sure to read the documentation carefully.

If MinGW/msys is proves too tricky, you could compile with Microsoft Visual Studio, there is a free version available (Express) and if you ask Billsey nicely I'm sure he can give you his Visual Studio project files.

The project team hang out in irc (irc.perl.org) in #mangband and one of us may be able to talk you through any specific problems you have if you catch us at the right time.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Wed 02.04.2008, 14:28

I checked on the webpages and noticed that really everything is mentioned already there :)

I will try to follow those easy steps - I should manage :D

Will get a subversion client and re-try with MingGW (did not install mysys).

Jug
King Lich

Re: Compiling 1.10 on windows

Post by Jug » Wed 02.04.2008, 16:20

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Sun 06.04.2008, 00:58

Downloaded all, installed ToroiseSVN grabbed from the svn branch a version - used (http://mangband.org/svn/mangband/branches/version-1_1_0) because this (http://mangband.org/svn/mangband/branches/version-1_1_0 mangband) didn't work (because of the %20 - blank.

So it looked like it was creating a head-revision from the repository.

It compiled fine, however this looks like a 1.0 server :) Probably i downloaded the wrong branch. <<<-- not true :) seems that only the intro screen is "old" :)

So i will look more into the svn thingie to see if i got the right data from your server.

Jug
King Lich

Post by Jug » Sun 06.04.2008, 08:35

Hi Ace,

That sounds about right. The current startup screen from mangband.org isn't in the actual Subversion repository, it's just something local to mangband.org.

You were right to drop the " mangband" from the end of the branch pathname. This is only needed when running svn from the command line, with TortoiseSVN you don't need it. Thanks for letting us know, I'll update our docs to make this clear.