sound in mangclient-sdl

All your MAngband related technical questions answered. Problems compiling or running the game/server? No problem! Ask here.
Mallecroft
Blubbering Idiot

sound in mangclient-sdl

Post by Mallecroft » Tue 06.10.2009, 20:43

Hi guys. I haven't played this game since version 0.7, and after upgrading to 112 i discovered a new way to play: mangclient-sdl. (i'm running on windows xp, btw.)

I quite like the single window view, but after creating all my macros and starting to play i discovered that I couldn't find a way to enable sound. Any changes made to mangclient.cfg don't seem to have any effect on mangclient-sdl. I really like having the sound enabled when i play as the sounds cue me in to whats going on in the game, and give me a great feel for how fast the creatures i'm fighting are, and how often i'm missing or hitting. Also, the repetitious sounds of battle give me a feel for how fast each "round" or "frame" of time is going by, helping me to synchronize my inputs with the game clock.

For now i have gone back to using the standard, multi-window mangclient, since i have sound there, but if you guys know a way to enable sound on the sdl version i'd like to go back to it. I just like the single window a bit better.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Re: sound in mangclient-sdl

Post by PowerWyrm » Wed 07.10.2009, 11:26

Unfortunately you can't. Sound effects in SDL client are only implemented and working on the currently unreleased 1.2 version. You'll have to wait a bit... a lot... forever?...

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Thu 08.10.2009, 20:07

Nonsense, PW, version 1.2 should be coming to a town near you, any time now. Well, it might take a few months. But definitely before 2011.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Fri 09.10.2009, 06:13

and the crowd goes wild -- yay :)