I can't use the escape key

All your MAngband related technical questions answered. Problems compiling or running the game/server? No problem! Ask here.
erick1294
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

I can't use the escape key

Post by erick1294 » Tue 21.06.2011, 19:35

The game was working just fine yesterday, my first time playing and i really enjoy the game, but then today, i went shoping and couldn't get out of the shop, i didn't know what was happening but in the one window client it worked, it appears to be something with the escape button on the normal client, which i preefer, i would like to use the normal client as the one window doesnt fit my screen, any suggestions to fix my problem will be greatly appreciated, i already tried reinstalling
Edit: I can't use the ESC key inside the game anywhere, it prevents me of doing anything and i have to manually close the client as i can't get out of "?" or shops, so maybe remaping the esc key would work

Billsey
King Vampire

Re: I can't use the escape key

Post by Billsey » Tue 21.06.2011, 20:27

Sounds like you've accidentally remapped the escape key by creating a macro that uses it. To replace that macro, create an identity macro for the escape key. That will override the bad one with something that works right. :-)
Mangband Project Team Member

erick1294
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

Post by erick1294 » Tue 21.06.2011, 23:41

Maybe that will work, i indeed was messing with macros but i don't really use macros, how can i delete them all or set them again?
Thank you for answering

Edit: You were right, i changed my esc key to /e and it worked, but now i think i have all my macros messed up, is there a way to delete all of them?
You just fixed my problem thank you very much!

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Wed 22.06.2011, 04:50

Go into the macro menu and choose to save the file. That will tell you what the filename is where you saved the bad macros. Then navigate to the MAngband directory, go to libs then to user. In there you'll find the file you've edited. Best is to restore the file to the one that came with the game originally rather than deleting it, unless it's a file that didn't come with the game.

Once you have everything back to normal, check out the forums and see how other people are using macros. I can't imagine playing very deep without macros! They are really, really useful. (Visualize firing an arrow at a horde of attacking orcs. With a macro it's just one keypress to send the arrow winging it's way toward the closest orc, without it's f [look at inventory to figure out which slot is arrows, say 'm'] m * t, four key presses and a screen check!

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Post by Thorbear » Wed 03.08.2011, 19:02

Perhaps this would be a suggestion for a feature to the macro menu? "reset macros" ?
I am Thorbear...

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Thu 04.08.2011, 02:11

Unfortunately I think it'd require either a duplicate set of macro files or a hard coded set of default macros. Neither one would help keep things portable. Better if someone would write a nifty standalone macro editor (or provide us with a diff that implements it in the game!) that keeps a set of defaults along with the created set... We could setup a section on the board where people could swap macro sets maybe... :-)

I personally would love it if some of the better players got together on a set of standard macros for each class, and maybe for class/race combo, that are more functional than the ones we provide now.