Hint Section

Best practices and optimistic theories.
Michailski
Giant Spotted Rat

Hint Section

Post by Michailski » Thu 04.06.2009, 00:35

The whole Forum is filled with pretty good hints. Badly you have to read a lot you don´t want to know to find them. So this Threat is done to be a quick Library. Enter a Name for your Hint at the Subject area helps to find it faster again. I choosed the Strategy area because this is meant for the Mid.- and Highlevelplayers. There is another one for Newbies at the Beginner Section.

Please.. Please... Please..
NO.. God Idea, bad Idea, i open a Shop, my modem is gone.. offtopic Posts. Only ingame Hints.
It hurts me each time when i open the Newbie Guide from Serina and i have to Scroll through tons of Posts, which are not a Newbieguide. A amazing Idea lost a lot of worth !

If someone post a Hint which is wrong you can use the given ways of the Forum or speek ingame to him and he can edit.

Tny to you all. =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8uAvMey ... r_embedded Three little pigs
My english isnt bad. I am ahead of time. I use the spelling reform of the english language starting 2010.

Michailski
Giant Spotted Rat

Stacking Buffs

Post by Michailski » Thu 04.06.2009, 01:36

serina wrote:.....m5dm5dm5dm5dm5dm5dm5dm5dm5dm5dm5
Hehe. This is the resistance spell. I love double resistance when I'm diving deep. I hope rogues and rangers can get enough mana/low enough fails to do this trick as well, because it stacks, you can keep it on at all times, forever....ZAL
A lot of the Players may know it but if you look at the Deathdumps you will find out that a few don´t use it or they use it wrong. The protection Spells/Prayers do stack. Means if you use them really often in a row you are protected for a longer time. If you dive deeper the Time is running slower. Means the Buffs hold longer again but it means too that you need to wait longer for the regeneration of your Spellpoints. You may use Restore Mana or Magistaffs but you musn´t. Here is how i use it with my Paladin.
Jordan uses 3 Buffs for Pallys (Chant,Prot from Evil and Res. Heat/Cold). So i did the macros for them that way that each of them are repeated for around 3o percent of my Spellpoints. Before i dive i pray them a lot and Rest for Mana regeneration. That is allmost enough for the whole dive but to be shure i repeat them down there. But i dont refresh the Buffs before i fight. And i refresh only one at a time and continue my Dive while the Sp regenerate. So i have allways 70 % of my SP (around 270) and i am all the Time full buffed. I musn´t be worry if i can not refresh because i did enough at Town.

Btw. The stacking works for Potions like Speed and Heroism too.

[Edit] Of course it was not meaned to use hundreds of Potions before you dive. In difference to Spells/Prayers would it be expensive to do that. And like Schroeder says:
Speed doesn't stack as much as everything else. Each extra speed pot or haste you get, you get 10 more turns of haste. Still nice, bot not worth casting a *lot* while in town before your dive
Last edited by Michailski on Mon 08.06.2009, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
My english isnt bad. I am ahead of time. I use the spelling reform of the english language starting 2010.

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Re: Hint Section

Post by schroeder » Thu 04.06.2009, 03:37

I think I understand what you're trying to do here. Tell me if i'm write or wrong...

Something that you should really learn to do in mangband, once you go to deeper depths, where not seeing one monster can kill you, you should start to tunnel through walls a lot. Specifically, their are sometimes cases where you are about to go down a hallway, but you can't see all the way down it, cus your window can't move there for detect monsters, and your esp radius isn't long enough. It looks kind of like this:

# ##########
# ##########
# ##########
# ##########
# @
# /\
{hmm...wonder what is down that hallway...}

You are not far away enough from the botom of the screan, so you can't L up. What do you do? Easy; stone to mud the wall, till you can L up, or just stone to mud all the way through to the other side. Like this:
#sshhhhhhh#
#Qphhhhhhh#
# #########
# ###@#####<{woah, i'm glad i checked!}
# ## #######
# ### ######
# ## #######
#

Not checking situations like that can easily make things end like this*
#sshhhhhhh
#Qphhhhhhh
#ZZZ######
#sL#######
#UR#######
#P@#######<{AAHHAHGEHIEEEHHH!!!!}
#hp#######
#ZZZZZZZZZ
#ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Any time you see a Q, any higher lvl p, or any summoning h (even gnome mages are scary), you should be afraid to be in the open. They can summon many different things. Even though they are week, they can be quite scary, when they summon stuff that can kick your ass.

*Slight dramitization

As a side note from your first post,
Michailski wrote:Btw. The stacking works for Potions like Speed and Heroism too.
Speed doesn't stack as much as everything else. Each extra speed pot or haste you get, you get 10 more turns of haste. Still nice, bot not worth casting a *lot* while in town before your dive
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Thu 04.06.2009, 04:16

Ways to handle evil Monsters
1) protection from evil scrolls are worth buying no matter which class you are.

+ Long duration and can be stacked (see previous hint)
+ Causes attacks from EVIL monsters (orcs, trolls, undead...) to be repelled with a certain chance

2) A staff of Holiness clears pits with evil monsters really fast. If you find them somewhere cheap (dungeon or 10K) make use of them. Quick & easy XP points. (Priests get a spell as you know)

3) Some monsters (undead, orcs, ...) are hurt by light so if you run out of mana and you are defenseless you can try to attack with light based/emitting staves, wands or spells.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Thu 04.06.2009, 04:29

Ch[easy] way to crack a juicy 13x13 concentrated death vault

- works only if there are no wall breaching monsters, if there is at least one keep a destro staff handy.
- Wake the monsters up, usually there are some monsters who trample and kill the smaller ones.
- By walking around that vault there will be only very few high end monsters left.
- Blow up a small portion of the vault where the monsters are... grab and ID the remainder

Alternatively you can lure the monsters into a corner

Code: Select all

.#
.#
.#
.#L
.#Mp
@#####
Increase the distance , and STM diagonally so there is a hole in the vault on the top left

Code: Select all

###...#
###......
##....#
###...#
##....#L
#.#...#Mp
@.....#####
Now just make a second corride further left, go up and when the monsters come out destroy them w/o harming the items.

PS Artifacts cannot be destroyed so do not worry :)

Michailski
Giant Spotted Rat

Monster Spellcasting / Messages

Post by Michailski » Mon 08.06.2009, 13:29

Do you know what it means if Wormy "casts a spell and cackles evilly." ? Or if the Druj "gestures fluidly. You are engulfed in a whirlpool." ? Not ? But you should know it.

water ball / 50+1d(5M/2), Stun[1d40], Confuse[5+1d5] "gestures fluidly. You are engulfed in a whirlpool."
mana storm / 10d10+5M; destroys all non-artifacts on the ground "invokes a mana storm."
light wounds / 3d8 "points at you and curses."
serious wounds / 8d8 "points at you and curses horribly."
critical wounds / 10d15 "points at you, incanting terribly!"
mortal wounds / 15d15, Cut![10d10] "points at you, screaming the word DIE!"
terrify / Terrify[3+1d4] "casts a fearful illusion."
blind / Blind[12+1d3] "casts a spell, burning your eyes!"
confuse / Confuse[3+1d4] "creates a mesmerising illusion."
slow / Slow[3+1d4] "drains power from your muscles!"
paralyze / Paralyze[3+1d4] "stares deep into your eyes!"
mind blasting / 8d8, Confuse[3+1d4] "gazes deep into your eyes."
brain smashing / 12d15, Confuse[3+1d4], Slow![3+1d4], Blind[7+1d8], Paralyze[3+1d4] / "looks deep into your eyes."
haste-self / "concentrates on his/her/its body."
heal-self / "concentrates on his/her/its wounds."
teleport level / "gestures at your feet."
create traps / "casts a spell and cackles evilly."

This is only a small Part of the messages. And no further expainations. For full Info about Monster Damage use the Link please. http://angband.oook.cz/d/spo/mon-blow.spo
For Example the Full info of Haste Self:

haste-self ("concentrates on his/her/its body.")
Speeds up the spellcasting monster (+10 to speed for the first time the spell is cast, and +2 for each subsequent casting, up to a maximum of a +20 bonus to the monster's normal speed).