Kull is Back

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Kull is Back

Post by Avenger » Mon 20.12.2004, 20:07

Kull has recently appeared on mangband.org and started pkilling again. I do not really have a problem with this, except for the fact that he was able to nearly destroy my Level 29 Paladin with his L16 warrior without apparently taking any damage. This may have something to do with the fact that he was somehow able to confuse me prior to combat. As far as I know, there is no way of legally doing this to another player. If anyone is willing to attempt taking him out in melee combat, please do. Otherwise, please deal with this Crimson.

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Re: Kull is Back

Post by Berendol » Mon 20.12.2004, 20:14

I observed some of this madness earlier, too. Seems he's been killing people for their gear and selling it. That really kills the fun for everyone, so I may enjoy answering your plea if I run into the guy outside of town. One important question is raised, though. Do I wait until he's near my level for a fair fight, or do I enforce a glass ceiling?
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Tue 21.12.2004, 00:22

Kill him on sight. The less levels he gains, the less people he'll kill.

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Tue 21.12.2004, 15:41

Kull has mad skillz. He's using the money he gets to buy enchantment scrolls and potions of heroism and cure crits. Pretty much the same items I'd buy to take out high level players with a low level warrior. Just don't idle in town. :p

Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Maegdae » Tue 21.12.2004, 18:14

I'd be buying damage/slaying rings, light EA weapon, and healing potions (on sale)...
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Tue 21.12.2004, 22:00

Keep in mind that when you start a level 1 warrior, you only have a few hundred gold. So healing potions won't be available in such large quantities (30 cure crits are better than say 3 heals in low level PVP). Also EA weapons and damage rings aren't readily available except from other characters.

Better watch out or Kull might pwn you. :o

Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Maegdae » Wed 02.02.2005, 06:12

I was thinking it's not hard to amass enough money to get nice damage/slaying rings and a light EA weapon from a player.. only a coupla hours diving if you're level 15.  I wasn't considering whether or not Kull would be able to get anyone to sell anything to him..
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

Steel_Dragon
Human Zombie

Post by Steel_Dragon » Mon 07.02.2005, 08:52

Kull is basically an idiot.  last week he asked me if i had anything that resisted sound, I said a law dsm, and he goes "oh, law resists sound?"

After i laughed at him throughly he threatened to kill me.  What an idiot.

Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Maegdae » Tue 08.02.2005, 00:38

Actually, he's not an idiot.  He formerly had no reason to know that law dsm resists sound; his characters were completely equipped to fight other players, who don't tend to breathe sound for large amounts of damage.  This gave him powerful enough gear that he didn't have to understand it in order to dungeon dive.  
Version 3.12

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Wed 09.02.2005, 02:04

It's quite surprising, shocking really, that anyone who has achieved ~L40 at any point in time on any server and has such an immense reputation for slaying players does not have this knowledge, especially given the immense amount of spoiler material available. I can easily produce evidence that he comes here to these forums (though I don't have such inclinations) so he most likely sees the spoilers. Wouldn't you want to know what benefits one DSM has over another, when you slay someone who drops one and you're wearing one already? If he does not understand such concepts as this, then we can reasonably assume that we don't need to use the smartest strategies in our playbooks to beat him when he comes looking for trouble. Save the really tricky and really clever ones for someone who gives a better challenge.

Need some help? Just whomp on the guy with +20 (perm+temp) speed, damage rings, agility gauntlets, high AC gear, and your favorite high damage (4d4 or better; or 3d4 or better EA) weapon that grants you 4+ blows. Also use heroism/superheroism, prayer, and cast any debuffs (stinking cloud, confuse, fear, acid ball) before you begin, since he is unlikely to resist them. Make sure you have crits and heals, and macro healing and teleport-self (or tele-level if you can, even better). Also try to take him out with high powered bolts of wounding from your favorite Numenor or whatever from far away. I mean... he's a warrior, right, so there's no massively damaging distance attacks in his arsenal. And if you really don't want to see him get better gear, then don't friggin sell it to him, duh! Hello?

One point to update my earlier post on this thread... My character suffered ghost death on mangband.org, so I won't be back in business there for quite a while.

I might remind you all that we all started with zero knowledge and worked up from there. Most of us started with good intentions, though...

[edit] I don't want to give away too much anti-PK strategy all at once, because he might learn how to counter it...

torkra
Singing, Happy Drunk

Post by torkra » Wed 09.02.2005, 23:10

Any efforts to kill Kull the Insane are welcomed gladly, however I must warn anyone who would try to take him on that the RNG has been generous in dealing him hitpoints, he DOES have all of the resistances, wields a heavy crossbow of numenor (along with the best bolts available, of course), and wields a lead hammer(thanks to berendol) of extra attacks. I would also like to add that he did know that law dsms resisted sound, it was simply taken out of context to demean him by dragon.

Much Love,
Donovan.

[EDIT by Berendol] --- This post was in fact made by Donovan, not by Torkra --- I would change its owner if I could. Sorry it had to happen to you, Torkra...
in the end we all still have to look ourself in the mirror

Steel_Dragon
Human Zombie

Post by Steel_Dragon » Thu 10.02.2005, 08:46

but you have to understand that any lvl 50 player can kill another lvl 50 player if they are not expecting it.  especially when you have the incredible speed bonus' that you can get on dserv.  Also worthy of note, if a warrior (or anyone else) is not expecting it, and you cast bersker str and mystic shield, you get +40 to AC and +25 to hit.  Not only that, but since they have intrinsic +20 speed, a rogue can equip an extra slay ring that a warrior cannot, bumping up another +25 to hit if its a decent ring.  In pvp battles its all about how many times you can actually hit the person, and when one person has an extra +50 to hit and  an extra 40 AC over the other, the hit point difference just doesn't mean as much.

torkra
Singing, Happy Drunk

Post by torkra » Thu 10.02.2005, 13:51

ok guys i am sorry that last post on this topic in my name was not me not me at all i did not type that and you guys that have seen me on teh game and saw me chat knwo that i typo like mad and i can not spell to save my life that is not me so please please please no yelling at poor torkra i just left myself logged in and someone else typed i am sorry
in the end we all still have to look ourself in the mirror

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Fri 11.02.2005, 02:56

Let's set something straight right now.

I have not given, sold, or otherwise ensured that anyone got any items on my server. Neither do I have plans to allow myself to do so in the future. It's in the rules... yes, I have rules for myself.

Since he apparently came here and boned up on his strategy recently, then here is a tip that nobody can counter. Build a mage, and get GoI up right before you start fighting. That is second only to the ultimate in destructive power, which is RNG, and the power of RNG shall not be invoked except where I deem fit... since three blows kill Morgoth.

[edit] I won't delete the post, but don't let it happen again... just log out when you leave the forums. It's only a couple seconds of your time.

[edit] I also welcome attempts to kill Kull, since he's disliked so much on the server, and it just might bring out some names from the past to rally the players under a common banner... but try to make it unfair enough that he doesn't learn from it... he's enough of a handful as it is, what with all the analysis and auditing I already don't have time for. Party up.

[edit] An EA lead hammer is hard to beat in hand-to-hand combat. Grond might not even be a good match. Your best bet is ranged fighting with fast teleport-self.

Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Maegdae » Sat 12.02.2005, 09:10

Killing people is actually very, very hard on this server.  My guesstimate is that a set of guidelines would make any high level player essentially unkillable:

- Dive in the Deep, Deep, Deep wild.  
- Never leave town to the outlying screens.  
- Use townhouse for temp storage.
- Recall to your giant 200 space houses in the Deep, Deep, Deep wild to store your goods long-term.  
- Do not visit the dungeon.  
- As a variant of rule number five, do not accept peoples offers to sell you a "very very nice" defender on 50 ft.
- As a variant of rule number two, do not accept peoples offers to sell you a "very very nice" defender in front of their house just outside of town.
- If you notice that there are five different people in the same party as the person offering you a "very very nice" defender, all absent from town, consider it to be additional proof of the validity of rules number six and seven.  

I would assume these are points that Kull understands quite well.  

As gear in the wild doesn't go bye-bye, a second character and geno would make nasty deaths a no-no..

unless your first character is unlucky enough to teleport into a nasty monster after dying, resulting in a ghost death.

Did I note that Kull has enough hp to survive something like.. uh.. 16 manastorms or somesuch?

I'd shelve thoughts of offing him unless you've got a seriously beefed gank squad, fun as it would be.  

On the other hand, if I was Kull, I'd go up vs the gank squad happily.  
Version 3.12