For the Dev-team...

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
serina
Crystal Ooze

For the Dev-team...

Post by serina » Tue 27.05.2008, 00:04

Which of these "rules" are still in effect? Some players can't find the guideline in text-form anymore. Maybe time to redraw a "Don't do this (cheating?)" set of things.

http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewtopic ... 3965#p3965

ZAL

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Re: For the Dev-team...

Post by Ace » Tue 27.05.2008, 11:33

Regarding the rule discussion - as this is a cooperative game i feel that some of these rules are not necessary.

exploiting might be cheesy but if that guy has fun with it? I recently died lost my gear because i was sitting in frot of a laptop and the macros suddenly did not work. Bah, i was happy to get my gear back. And to handle case to case differently is also not fair to everyone. Something else is if I kill of another fake char just to get more start money.

buying & selling: The minimum price system is already a good blockade against "price dumping". Maybe the minimum price is to be tweaked here and there, but if someone choose to sell MW boots out of the shop for 15K instead of 40k so what? Right now I see thousands of shops with many items that probably will be never bought or am I wrong? :) And if someone is selling cheaply it's his own loss and business. If you allow free market then allow it for real and not by defining what is exploiting and unbalance the game.

Suggestion - keep rules to a minimum, do not restrict players, obviously forbid exploiting and cheating, but do not intervine with daily lives of short-lived characters. And if you include some "audit" rules maybe it would be good to explain what they are - though I can see the reason of why to keep them secret :)

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 27.05.2008, 11:49

1) In effect... except you don't need keys anymore to get backup gear from your houses
2) No idea... people tend to be greedy and don't give cash to deceased characters :)
The temple now provides a small amount of cash when resurrecting, but since this is a fixed amount of 100 gold, it is exploitable at low level (you can get a fair amount of starting cash at level 1 this way by simply dying over and over and resurrecting at 4) and totally useless at high level (good for a dagger and a lantern... and then? you better have backup gear...)
3) Always applies... see 2) for greediness anyway :)
4) Pointless now... ghosts can't go down, so this could only happen in very very rare circumstances
5) Ruthless pkilling has been removed in current instance... both characters have to agree, and that's a decent reason :)
6) Can't happen anymore... arts need to be used or carried
7) There should be a gold fine for people littering in town :)
Note that townies tend to litter the town more than players... but at least they try to clean their mess whenever they can ;)
8) I love teleporting people around :)
9) See 8)
10) I'd say don't save in the dungeon at any depth unless you have a good reason to save in the dungeon

Point 5) now implies that you should be very careful when trading items with people... you won't be able to deal with thieves anymore. So maybe add a rule about fair trading...

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 27.05.2008, 11:54

BTW Ace... price dumping in RL is against the law ;)
Players should be fined for selling items under the market price :p

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Tue 27.05.2008, 13:18

A black market is also against the law. Price is defined by offer and demand. (but i know what you mean :)) Since we have 10000 tomes of power floating around price would start to decrease in reality. And in game terms i also think that you will get from time to time a "friendly" offer just because what you want with some many books that you'll never sell. It's better to find them on your own than pay that ridiculous amount - except you exactly know what you're doing.

Addition -
10) Don't save in the dungeon above level 600. surface first. You might come back to discover you're entombed in solid rock anyway.

Why would someone be entombed in solid rock?

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 29.05.2008, 11:59

If you come back and the level got reset, the game is too lazy to replace your character on a valid spot... so you find it embedded in the rock :)

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Thu 29.05.2008, 12:09

And then?
You're dead or just cannot move?

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 29.05.2008, 12:16

Just cannot move... once you phase (or teleport or recall), you're ok again.