New enhancement: Players have only one house

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
PowerWyrm
Balrog

New enhancement: Players have only one house

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 01.07.2008, 12:30

This feature is projected for the 1.3.0 release. I see a couple of problems with this...
In Angband, the player has one home with a fixed size (2 pages of items IIRC). In MAng, houses have different sizes, from 1 square to 100 and more. When the instance starts, you have the choice of which house to buy... but after a while the oldest players will have bought all the biggest houses and the only houses left will be the smallest one. The only way to store your items in that case is to buy many small houses...
Restricting to one house is a nice feature, but it will require to rethink the town layout. It would also make the player shop feature obsolete, as players wouldn't have extra room to store on sale items... unless they create multiple "shopkeeper" characters to run their shops (Toto would buy a house, create TotoArmor to buy a house for armor, TotoWeapon to buy a house for weapons, TotoPotions to buy a house for potions, and so on...)

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Re: New enhancement: Players have only one house

Post by Ace » Tue 01.07.2008, 14:54

I am currently fiddling on a new town layout that should offer more "fair" sized houses. Maybe a different layout minimizes the problem.

With fair house sizes buying so many houses might not be necessary.
Also with the availability of so many houses, maybe you want to make the rare items even rarer :)

But i'll have to think of this to come with a few good ideas back... its a very difficult decision and you will always have some drawbacks and possible exploits....

Imho a big problem is that via player shops almost everything is available in town. There are only very few items "which are not available " atm and that is a bit odd :)