Still Waiting for Windows Server

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Stumpy
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

Still Waiting for Windows Server

Post by Stumpy » Wed 16.07.2008, 16:42

Hey guys. I've been playing MAngband for ages now, but I really only play on LAN with a friend. The downloads page has said 'in a few weeks' forever now, and I was just wondering why in one thread I read there's talk of working on version 1.20 already when they haven't even released the Windows server for 1.00 yet. I want to play the new version - I'm stuck back at 0.62 or something like that because the windows version of 7.2 they released SUUUUUUCKED and wouldn't run right, forcing anyone who wanted to run a server to do so on Linux. >:(

Also, I read a little bit about compiling but that's a pretty vague. I've compiled things in the past, but I'm not a compiling wizard and it really irks me that every time it has to be done, I have to download a new suite of programs just to do a simple job because the author of the instructions has personal *preferences* and there is no standard compiling program. ERGH! If it's not only possible to compile a server, but someone has already done so, my poor abused registry will thank you for saving me from bogging it down with more crappy programs by putting a compiled version up for download or, quite possibly, going through the motions only to find out that I can't compile a recent build of the server.

I know Linux is more efficient for running servers because it isn't dragging Windows' unaddressed failings behind it, but I'm just a guy on a single computer with a LAN network who wants to play with a friend. Linux is good for some things, but for the most part, as unfortunate as it is, Windows is where it's at for playing games, and I'm about ready to upgrade from my 80 year old copy of MAngband.

Gee, thanks!

Billsey
King Vampire

Re: Still Waiting for Windows Server

Post by Billsey » Wed 16.07.2008, 18:17

We actually are getting very close to releasing 1.1.0, the current version running on the flagship mangband.org. The release will include a pre-compiled server for Windows, specifically for the reasons you list. The current code has been tested to compile under Windows with MinGW, Borland, and Microsoft and at some point there will be some better tutorials on how to actually perform that process, but bug fixes and the like tend to be a lot more fun than writing tutorials. :-)

The two servers running on my machine (seymourfamily.org) are both Windows compiles, they're not quite as current as the flagship, but not too far behind.
Mangband Project Team Member

Jug
King Lich

Post by Jug » Wed 16.07.2008, 18:56

There is in fact a tutorial on compiling for Windows kindly put together by Murdin here. So if you really wanted to go for compiling it yourself it is possible. :)

Jug
King Lich

Post by Jug » Thu 17.07.2008, 00:35

After discussion with the Project Team this evening, I can qualify Billsey's comment and say this release will be within the next couple of weeks.

Jug
King Lich

Post by Jug » Sat 19.07.2008, 13:17

Server is available for download now.

Stumpy
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

Post by Stumpy » Sun 20.07.2008, 14:41

YEEEEEESSSSS!!! THANK YOU!

Jug
King Lich

Post by Jug » Sun 20.07.2008, 19:04

However, if you downloaded that installer before the date/time of this message (Sun 20th July 19:00 UTC) you may want to download the installer again. There was a minor error in the previous package which will cause beam effects to behave oddly, the installer has since been updated to fix this issue.