Town Layout?

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Purge
Mangy-Looking Leper

Town Layout?

Post by Purge » Tue 19.08.2008, 14:43

Salut,

I'm new here and I apologize if this is the wrong section for this kind of post, but I think it's more a general question than some support issue..
Well, what I wanted to ask is: Is there a way to customize the town of your own server in some way? For example making it a bit more safe (for not being slaughtered by town idiots when buying stuff) or reduce the number of houses? I've seen this on some other servers so I know it is possible, tho I don't know if they were running the current version, or if they changed anything in the sourcecode.

So my question in short is if there is a softcode possibility to reduce aggressive town inhabitants and/or reduce the number of houses in there?

Thanks in advance!

Jug
King Lich

Re: Town Layout?

Post by Jug » Tue 19.08.2008, 14:58

Assuming you are running a 1.1.x server, you can limit the number of townsfolk by adjusting the value of MAX_TOWNIES in the server configuration file (mangband.cfg).

Purge
Mangy-Looking Leper

Post by Purge » Tue 19.08.2008, 15:31

Oh. My bad for overlooking this one. Thanks. Still, any possibility to change the layout of the city? And yes, I'm running 1.1.1

Jug
King Lich

Post by Jug » Tue 19.08.2008, 15:37

Without making changes to the source code and compiling your own server you haven't got much control over the town layout. It's randomly generated, so the only control you currently have is to reset your server and force the town to regenerate.

There has been discussion about allowing hand-designed town levels in the game, just like there are hand-designed levels in Ironman (the Dwarven Halls in the dungeons). The only thing blocking this so far is that no one has ever come up with a good design for the surface town :-)

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Tue 19.08.2008, 15:55

Hi not discontinued; iam still working on it from time to time ;) Recently I was not in the mood at all to do anything creative after work :D But I suppose eventually there will be something to show quite soon.

Knowingly that I wanted to deliver months ago I put my head into the box of shame... but it looks already pretty good I think. I'll get it out when it's done :)

keep you posted.

Purge
Mangy-Looking Leper

Post by Purge » Tue 19.08.2008, 16:21

Oh, sounds nice. Well, gotta wait then, I guess. Thanks for the fast answers :)