Wilderness hunt

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Wilderness hunt

Post by schroeder » Sun 07.12.2008, 18:55

I've just dropped 900k AU in the wilderness. I'm not sure if it will go away when something resets or not, so I did AU instead of a nice item. If you find it, its yours. It is somewhere to the north.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

Prosper
Human Zombie

Re: Wilderness hunt

Post by Prosper » Mon 08.12.2008, 00:43

Hehehehe its probably in an abandoned shack.. you should leave hints on the way :P im still at work but if I can play a bit tonight Ima find it XD.

I would like to create player made dungeons making walls with WOD and STM and door creation and staff of summon monsters.

It will be called Prosper Vault XP

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Mon 08.12.2008, 01:27

I *think* someone found it. Ascii was gonna put another set of loot out there somewhere, and so we went to find my loot so that they would be in different places. We could not find my loot. So, someone probably found it. Ascii is gonna put some AU in the wilderness eventually though.

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Tue 09.12.2008, 20:08

It was probably picked up by a wandering novice priest and put into their 'alms for the poor' box.
Mangband Project Team Member

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Wed 10.12.2008, 06:16

Ok, the hunt is on! I placed 4 treasure troves, here are some clues:

Easy Mode

A small cache awaits you at -8100 ft! It is close to town and should be easy for low level characters to find. It contains a few stat rings. [Not found yet!]

Decent Challenges

A medium sized cache awaits somewhere West of town! Its location is a multiple of 10000, meaning you can find it at -30000, -40000, -50000, etc. [Not found yet!]

A good sized cache awaits in this barn! It lies on the edge of the map. [Found by Kom]

Hard Mode

A good sized cache containing a Chaos DSM can be found in this swamp! [Found by Soranchu!]

Good luck and be sure to post here if you find one!
Last edited by Ashi on Sat 04.07.2009, 04:01, edited 2 times in total.

Allona
Hobgoblin

Post by Allona » Mon 15.12.2008, 05:41

woooah i wannnnnna hunt them

Kom
Giant Long-Eared Bat

Post by Kom » Tue 16.12.2008, 05:34

Pow... Just to let you know, all those orcs were gone when i got to -182200

This has inspired me to go out and make my own sort of wilderness stash... This was fun.

EDIT: Also, i found your first part of the Decent Challenge, but i left the stuff there to give others a fair chance... By the way though, how did you manage to drop an item on water?

Kom
Giant Long-Eared Bat

Post by Kom » Tue 16.12.2008, 06:50

So for now, I guess I'll put down a few things for people to look around for. I probably won't do much else till i get back to playing. The items you get may not be proportional to the difficulty, and the difficulties may also not be accurate, but hey, I tried, right? Please post any difficulties, findings, etc.

You may have started some sort of fad, Schroeder...

Kom's Hunt - I

Difficulty: Above Average
Type: Description of location, find
Reward(s):
+15 Damage ring
250k au

Northeast of town is a strange shaped dark forest, at a mere, approximate, 21 map tiles away, lies a dark forest. This small dark forest is only nine map tiles in size. To the west of this forest is a marsh, to the east, it changes into a regular forest. To the north and south are plains. If you were to approach this forest from the north end, directly in the center, you would come upon a section of forest mottled with dirt clearings. One of these clearings can be seen directly from the outskirts of the forest. There is a medium sized house there. Inside is a ring to increase your attack power and some gold for your efforts.

Kom's Hunt - II

Difficulty: Easy
Type: Specific location, find
Reward(s):
a Potion of Augmentation
a Feanorian Lamp

To the north of town some ways is a section with two houses and three farms. This little area at -65150 has been surnamed Dragonville by it's finders. Search the houses there to find two items to light your way and raise your spirits.

Kom's Hunt - III

Difficulty: Fairly Hard
Type: Description of region, find
Reward(s):
10 Potions of Healing
a Rod of Recall
500k au

West-Southwest of town, you must scour the edge map for a small two-square plain area. This secluded section is squished between some nasty dark woods and marshes. in sector [1,4] of the southern plains area, you will find a strange cluster of trees. Within this cluster is the valuable treasure which you seek.

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Tue 16.12.2008, 07:49

Kom wrote:
Kom's Hunt - II

Difficulty: Easy
Type: Specific location, find
Reward(s):
a Potion of Augmentation
a Feanorian Lamp

To the north of town some ways is a section with two houses and three farms. This little area at -65150 has been surnamed Dragonville by it's finders. Search the houses there to find two items to light your way and raise your spirits.
Found it with my lvl 20 rogue

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Tue 16.12.2008, 09:01

It might sound nice and easy to just go into the wilderness and pick up half a million worth of gold, but remember, there's great evil lurking out there...
-- Mangband Project Team Member

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Tue 16.12.2008, 09:15

Kom wrote:
Kom's Hunt - I

Difficulty: Above Average
Type: Description of location, find
Reward(s):
+15 Damage ring
250k au

Northeast of town is a strange shaped dark forest, at a mere, approximate, 21 map tiles away, lies a dark forest. This small dark forest is only nine map tiles in size. To the west of this forest is a marsh, to the east, it changes into a regular forest. To the north and south are plains. If you were to approach this forest from the north end, directly in the center, you would come upon a section of forest mottled with dirt clearings. One of these clearings can be seen directly from the outskirts of the forest. There is a medium sized house there. Inside is a ring to increase your attack power and some gold for your efforts.
FOUND. Well, at least the +15 damage ring. The 150k had been picked up by a monster that was in the house.

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Tue 16.12.2008, 10:03

after getting the first 2, I decided to try and get the third...at night. Well, I said hello to a skul druj, and then my ghost said hello to a greater basalisk. So now, their is a fenorian lantern, an +15 damage ring, and some other things I had on myself near where the 3rd quest is.

Even though i died on the 3rd one, this was very fun. I can't believe i gained 5 lvls doing this! Heh, and then I lost it all. Ah well. I'll get it back after my finals are over! I'll get to lvl 40 and get everything there, even though I won't need it anymore!

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 16.12.2008, 12:40

Sounds like that was Domiano... well examining a cap of seeing while something was summoning and casting like mad was probably not the best move ;)

Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Maegdae » Tue 16.12.2008, 13:30

I went for the third. Killed a drolem, got stuck in a forest, teleported out into a gigantic pack of ethereal hounds on the grasslands.

Survived, but that's enough wildnerness fun for me atm.
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

Kom
Giant Long-Eared Bat

Post by Kom » Wed 17.12.2008, 03:55

Well, i'm glad i made one that was challenging... how long did it take you to do the other two?