MAngband Art exhibition

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Warrior
Evil Iggy

MAngband Art exhibition

Post by Warrior » Fri 06.02.2009, 17:06

Once upon a time there was a very active japanese mangband server with lots of highly skilled players, contributing significantly to the never-ending battle vs evil, but not only that! - They also had some very creative artists among them, I found this little gem recently.

So, do we have any artistic talents in our current playerbase?

Imagine how fantastic a full set of letters like this would be...
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Re: MAngband Art exhibition

Post by Ashi » Fri 06.02.2009, 20:09

That is cool! 迷宮案内 = Dungeon guide?

I found this excerpt from an awesome MAngband fiction by Kom:
Kavlax heaved out a huge ball of acid, melting away nubnub's body instantly. I immediately ducked around the corner, lucky to have not been seen by the horrendous beast. I could hear nubnub's voice in my head "damn... i guess that didn't work out as we had hoped."
I don't have any other artwork exactly, but in my screenshot collection are many pictures of artistic things people have done in-game. For example, STMing out a level and turning it into a junkyard, paving the wilderness, building a flashing sign out of Disenchanter eyes, dropping items to form a picture, etc.

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Fri 06.02.2009, 21:09

Thats the stuff we're looking for!
This thread is for any kind of artistic or creative expression related to MAngband or roguelikes in general.
Discussions as well as exhibits :)

Kom
Giant Long-Eared Bat

Post by Kom » Sat 07.02.2009, 21:15

I'm still working on that story thing, i guess... Here's what i have if you're interested.
It had been a few days since our small group had arrived in the town of Ang. We had traveled with one of the many caravans that made its way through the expansive wilderness, trailing about almost randomly along countless trails. The five of us spent a few days preparing to enter the dungeons spending what little we had on some scrolls, lanterns, weapons, and food. Some of our gear was sold for lighter equipment. No longer traveling in open areas, we had to be quicker on our feet if we were to survive.

With these preparations made we rested up for one more night and headed out the next day. It was bright outside, just before noon. The small town bustled with everyday activity. Townspeople walked about doing their own tasks. Some shopkeepers shouted out their wares to people passing by. Village idiots lazed around, drooling on themselves. There were some adventurers about, but not many. Only the toughest seemed to survive long in the dungeons of Angband.

The five of us made our way to the dungeon entrance. Our patchwork band stood clustered around the stone staircase at the south end of town. In the center of the stone paved ground were carved steps leading down into the dungeon. The stairs seemed to devour all the light that reached into it. I looked at everyone as we stood there, silently.

Eric, our leader and excellent axeman, seemed excited and fascinated by the dungeon. His blue eyes twinkled with eagerness. He'd heard a bit of the dungeon before, but was still one of the younger people in our party.

Beside him, directly across from me, stood the mage, Ashi. We all knew of his powerful magic and the years it had taken him to reach that point. His long red robes showed of his power and his respect among magic users. He looked determined, and I was sure this wasn't his first go around in the dungeons.

To my left, our half-troll companion Jon ruffled through his belongings. That stumpy guy in blue leather armor was sure to be helpful. His quick reflexes and senses were keen. There wasn't a device he couldn't disable or a door he couldn't unlock.

On the other side of me was Andrew standing tall in his green priest robes. I looked between him and Ashi, their colors contrasting greatly. His presence as a healer was quite encouraging.

I was the only elf of the group. In fact, I had only recently met up with the rest of them in another town while traveling about. After discussing mutual interests, they immediately welcomed in with kindness and friendship. I had been in places of interest such as the mystical dungeons of Angband, but only alone, and none were said to be as bad as this.

In fact, Morgoth, the lord of darkness himself was said to live far down in the depths of the dungeon. Great treasures also awaited people who could make their way deep enough. Though each of us had our own personal reasons for being dungeon divers, but we were all determined to vanquish the lord of darkness and rid the world of his presence once and for all.

Spacing out for a second after looking at everyone, I peered down into the stairs. I was almost afraid, this was my first time even being near such a powerful, foreboding place. No matter, I had acquaintances, friends, with me. I was reassured by that thought.

Ashi looked up at me while he leaned slightly on his ornate staff. His robes wavered in the breeze. "Amazing how monsters don't start pouring out into Ang," he said, staring down the stairs.

Kicking a pebble down the stairs, I said "I just hope we're prepared well enough."

"We can only hope," Andrew said, brandishing his mace, "There's not much more we can do without any gold anyway." He was right, we had hardly ten gold pieces between us. Eric stepped forward from the rest of us. His chain mail shone in the sunlight.

"There's only one way to find out" he said, and started to make his way down the steps. I sighed and drew my longsword. Eric gave us a glance to see if we were following.

"I guess he's right" Jon said in his deep voice, readying an arrow in his bow. The rest of us continued in, all in varying states of reluctance.

Going down the stairs took a minute in itself. Not only was each level of the dungeon was fifty feet below the last but the stairs also seemed to be arranged in bizarre, almost magical patterns, Splitting off every ten or so feet. We were sure that we were getting turned about as we descended. In fact, I wasn't entirely sure we were even going down. The whole place had this, supernatural feeling to it.

We emerged on the first level. The tension between us immediately left the air when we saw none of the horrors rumored of. We were merely in a stone room lit by some torches on the walls. Several passageways led off from the room, a few with doors, a few without. We split up and looked about the room for anything out of the ordinary. "I don't think anything is here," Eric said from the entrance of one of the open passageways, "we should get moving on then."

"I think everyone was lying to us, if you ask me," I said, still standing near the stairs, "This isn't horrible at all."

"I wouldn't think everything would be too dangerous here," Andrew said, "It is, after all, too close to the surface."

"Most dungeons and other monster infested areas of this world get more difficult as you go in," Ashi said, inspecting one of the torches on the far wall.

Jon turned around quickly and faced Andrew. There was the sound of heavy padding on the ground. Andrew took a step backwards and raised his mace. Just at that moment a large lizard crashed through one of the doors in front of Andrew, pushing him to the ground. Eric reached the reptile first and swung his axe in a wide arc, cleaving a gouge in the monster's back.

It reared up only to be struck by an orb of energy sent out by Ashi. As it turned to run, Jon fired his readied arrow, hitting it in the base of the skull. It dropped to the ground dead. "Wow" Andrew said, flustered. "Sebastian, you didn't get to be a part of the action," Eric said with a slight chuckle.

"Sorry," was all I could say. "No matter," Andrew said, brushing himself off, "I'm not hurt."

"Just because something doesn't seem difficult doesn't mean you should let down your guard," Jon said, walking up to Andrew and the rest of the group.

Eric cleaned off his sword and walked to the splintered door. The hall beyond the door was the same as the rest, none of us could see down it for more than a few feet. I lit my lantern and held it up, the flame flickered as if it were trying to run from the darkness beyond. It's meager light only lighting an extra fifteen or so feet. "This will be fun," I muttered under my breath.

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Sun 08.02.2009, 19:11

EPIC STORY~!!!!
This is too awesome. I tell my friends stories of random things that have happened to me in MAngband. Its a good source of epic battles.
Good job making a fight with a Cave Lizard seem intense.

Kom
Giant Long-Eared Bat

Post by Kom » Tue 10.02.2009, 04:42

I also made a song a while ago inspired by a day's worth of playing MAngband http://mokkom.dyndns.org:8000/members/k ... ngband.mp3

Flambard
King Vampire

Post by Flambard » Tue 10.02.2009, 08:16

I always said a good game is one that could generate stories you tell your non-playing friends :)

I love the story, it's awesome, I hope it gets continued. You can always dive to get some inspiration..!

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Tue 10.02.2009, 08:46

From what i've heard, he has the beggining and end figured out, just not the middle. A good lvl 1 party could be really good for this! Especially if all the characters in the story come in it (me, emulord, nubnub, ascii, and of course kom). I'd also reccomend reading some of the tales from the pit angband webcomic, found here:
http://angband.calamarain.net/index.php
It has some good concepts that I'm sure you could incorporate without breaking copyright laws :)
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Sat 14.02.2009, 16:08

Another japenese contribution (by the player Mihi I think)

[edit] It was made by Benedikt - thanks for the info, Kaze :)

serina
Crystal Ooze

Post by serina » Sat 14.02.2009, 16:22

That last one would make for a funny kind of vault.

ZAL

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Sat 14.02.2009, 17:28

Found a cool vault design based on that idea: http://zorohi.hp.infoseek.co.jp/photo/albums006.html

Michailski
Giant Spotted Rat

Post by Michailski » Sat 21.02.2009, 13:21

I did this Banner...

If you like it feel free to get and use it.

To bad that it dont work as signature in this Forum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8uAvMey ... r_embedded Three little pigs
My english isnt bad. I am ahead of time. I use the spelling reform of the english language starting 2010.

Kaze
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

Post by Kaze » Sat 21.02.2009, 15:28

MAngband迷宮案内's art reminds me Japanese server(laggard.dsb.to) :)
One of the great player Benedikt made that site and title logo by himself.
(Warrior thought Mihi made too, but Mihi didn't made title logo,but he/she made nice advance guide for Japanese players)
That is cool! 迷宮案内 = Dungeon guide?
yes, this site is guide for newbies.

and, Japanese players made a lot of vault.
We made community and posted vault and imaging,
and one player made vault-drawing program, I still have it.
(but that community site is closed http://web.archive.org/web/200412092108 ... d=r0500293 )

I think that extra vault is still remaining in the Yakina's archive.
(he/she was server admin of laggard.dsb.to)

and I made some vaults. they are here
http://cid-5ee9901761fec771.skydrive.li ... misc/vault
and I think I have other players vaults(but I can not remember where I had saved).

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Tue 15.09.2009, 13:31

serina
Crystal Ooze

Post by serina » Wed 16.09.2009, 18:27

Umm... You can be an ass - I mean... What's the rest of the picture? Hehe.

- no offence intended. If you take that offensive, you are allowed to punt me next time you see me :)

ZAL