GREEN DEATH! [Quest]

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Warrior
Evil Iggy

GREEN DEATH! [Quest]

Post by Warrior » Sat 14.02.2009, 13:07

Once again you sit down in the tavern after a long day of hard battle. You empty your last pint of ale, you just ate an excellent meal, your eyelids are getting heavy.. you sigh and think back, a week ago at this time you sat in this exact same spot when the unnamed warrior fell to the floor, bleeding profusely, wild eyed... dying in silence on the dusty floor of this old tavern after a short and brutal life fighting monsters you couldn't imagine in your wildest dreams... Back then.

Now, a week later, the unnamed warrior has become a legend, people have searched long and far, your good friends Zal and Grisu tried to find it, searching far and wide to no avail.
Schroeder made plans, clever schemes but still couldn't find it. His friend, Emulord even had visions of the quest during a dream.

The whole thing has upset the community, it seems everyone in town has been talking about it and a spark has been lit in people's imaginations, now there are rumors wherever you turn, people are nervous, seeing terrible monsters everywhere and everyone is a lot more careful when leaving the safety of the town borders.

But nevertheless... people come into your pretty town every day, traveling through the wilderness from places far away, you recently shared a few pints of ale with a young rogue from an elven forest kingdom far far away and he told you that on his way to town he saw from a long distance a very strange building in the middle of what his father told him was just farmland, "I've traveled this road a hundred times, child, there is nothing but farmers around here".

Your new friend then forgot about it - like he told you - he was tired and it could just have been his imagination.
But you've been wondering... it does seem the wilderness is changing rapidly these days. Who knows what can be out there.

One of the hardest rumors on the street is the story that an old priest actually managed to conquer "The Challenge" and retired far out in the wilderness, building himself a castle in the farmlands, protecting it with mighty creatures he felt connected to...

And when you think about it, you think there may be some truth to this rumor, it matches the story of the young elf, and you think you might even have the coordinates!

The rumor says that it's 23 areas away from town in one direction and your friend was counting how far they've traveled the whole time and he was sure it was the 19'th map level from town... but he left before telling you what direction they came from.
But.. you don't know. Is it 23 North? 23 South? 23 East? 23 West? And 19 in what direction... ah well, it makes it a little easier anyway. And it's farmland. That should help also.

[This quest can be attempted by anyone able to get there (level 1 if they should get there)]
[They will not be able to finish it :)]
[It is not allowed to use Banishment/Mass Banishment or Word of Destruction/*Destruction*]
[It has rewards of a practical and priestly nature...]
-- Mangband Project Team Member

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Re: GREEN DEATH! [Quest]

Post by schroeder » Sat 14.02.2009, 20:14

These quests are making me lustful for a high lvl character!!!!... Ok, so my would be plan for this one...................... Oh wait....I DO have a lvl 38 priest...He *could* do this, if my plan is correct.... It involves something i suggested to prosper which he never used, since he had already decided to be a coward... You may still need to be a tough fighter, since it will not *always* work, but now...I'm tempted to lvl emulord just a little to get the geer he would need for this.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Sat 14.02.2009, 20:48

It seems this quest was too easily found, Speedtrip the level 47 Paladin already found (and cleared it) after having slain the green hordes (all you can imagine of the kind). At one point he was a 0 from being ambushed by a pack of drolems!

Prosper
Human Zombie

Post by Prosper » Sun 15.02.2009, 01:33

Gratz speedtrip !

What was the prize ?

did you get a recording ?

Michailski
Giant Spotted Rat

Post by Michailski » Sun 15.02.2009, 12:04

Oh.. It wasn`t that easy to find. But i was allready Online and i wanted to be the first. So i was allready runnig through the wilderness before anyone could read the post. While hacking my way through tons of trees (enough to fill the whole Dungeon), and swearing on each that bad that i don`t want to repeat, i had the Idea to take the shorter way from 23North 19East to 23E 19N and so on for the other directions. There are some other Ideas to find it faster but got lucky to find it at the third Area. (The searching part isn`t funny. Its boring and its more dangerous than the target mission.)

I am sorry. I don`t have a Screenshot. I`m really sorry about. It looked like this example.

D:%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% .............. Funnie fault. I opend the upper (and harder) Side first. but that was helpfull too. I got a Green DSM first and swiched it for
D:%#XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX% ............. more AC with my Robe of Permanence. Hard.. the Outdoorspeed. What good to be a Paladin and not long gorged.^^
D:%X-------DDDDDDDDDDDDDD------------------------]X% ............ After surviving as a 0 i realized i killed allready 2 drolems. I havent seen at the Gamespeed only at the log.
D:%XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX#X%
D:%X[----------DDDDDDDDDDDggggggggg------------X% ..............I found:
D:%XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX%
D:%X?dddddddDDDDDDDDggggggggg-----------------X% ..............Green Dragon Scale Mail
D:%XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX#X% ..............Elven Gloves of Istari
D:%X----DDDDDDDDDDVVVVVVVggggggggggg-------?X% ..............Arrows of Venom
D:%X#XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX% ..............Orcish Pick
D:%XdddddddddddQQQQQVVVVVVVdddddd----------X % ..............A lot Hi Priest Books
D:%XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX#X% ..............One Levelup =)
D:%X-VVVVVVdddddddddpppppppppp----------------?X%
D:%X#XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX% ...............But allmost a lot of hard Work and Fun (of course) while doing this Mission. So Thanks a Lot for this Run and the Work to build it.
D:%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ...............Greetz
.............................................................................Speedtrip/Michailski

[Edit] Ohh.... Free Spaces will be removed. I use - and .for it. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8uAvMey ... r_embedded Three little pigs
My english isnt bad. I am ahead of time. I use the spelling reform of the english language starting 2010.

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Sun 15.02.2009, 12:24

Prosper wrote:Gratz speedtrip !

What was the prize ?

did you get a recording ?
Sadly, I do not think that speedtrip (Jordan) has a forum account.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Sun 15.02.2009, 12:48

He does now!
Thanks for reporting, Speedtrip, I think it's very appropriate with ASCII art :)

Here's a screenshot from the archives.