Quests are good but...

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
PowerWyrm
Balrog

Quests are good but...

Post by PowerWyrm » Sun 01.03.2009, 17:53

... please do NOT put unique monsters in such quests. Any unique monster generated in the wilderness will NEVER respawn anywhere, that means nobody will ever be able to generate that unique in the dungeon again!

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Re: Quests are good but...

Post by Warrior » Mon 02.03.2009, 10:22

This seems very strange considering the wilderness has always had a fair share of uniques, especially grip and fang but also smeagol and the orc uniques (in the wastelands for example).

Or do you mean it's specific for DM generated uniques in the wild?

I know Farmer Maggot went missing for several days/weeks at a time but he eventually reappeared, without anyone having done anything.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 02.03.2009, 12:14

No it's not specific to DM. When there is no player on a wilderness level, the level itself is deallocated BUT NOT the monsters and objects on that level. This means that if a unique is generated in the wilderness, it won't be generated in the dungeon anymore until someone goes to that level and kills the unique.
Yesterday I grabbed a staff of summoning and went to 100ft to summon monsters with a character that didn't kill any low uniques. After over 1000 tries, I managed to generate Fang, Smeagol and Bullroarer maybe over 50 times... but I was never able to generate Grip. I suppose the dog wanders somewhere near town...
Note that one of the current quests generated Harowen close to town and nobody killed that unique... so that's another guy to look up.

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Fri 06.03.2009, 13:35

Hmm...This sounds mildly exploitable. Find morgy in dungon (preferably in a vault), send a ghost to said lvl, hide ghost in corner, log ghost in every few hours to keep lvl static (untill, of course, other high lvl people come on who could descover this), have fun not needing to care about morgy. Might I suggest that uniques should be able to be on 2 different lvls at the same time? I know that i've experienced something like this situation, too before. Once, while diving at the bottom, didn't see morgy for like, 50 lvls! And I *doubt* that was just blind luck.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband